Notices

Bilstein suspension by JamSport

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2013, 09:20 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts
Thumbs up Bilstein suspension by JamSport

Following a relatively recent trackday I came to the conculsion that the suspension of my car needed improving.

My requirements were the following:

- The suspension needs to have long travel and absorb pot holes
- I don't want to have to slow down on broken/uneven roads but be able to drive at the national speed limit without hopping or loosing grip
- Reduce roll
- I don't mind making the car a little stiffer but I don't want the car to rattle or my back to break

Due to a bad experience with aftermarket coilovers in the past (my car came with AST coilovers from the previous owner which gave me a hard time -no punt intended!- even after having them revalved until I got rid of them when I started enjoying the car again) I was a bit weary of aftermarket coilover solutions.

Luckily, a friend of mine had the same suspension from JamSport in his Forester so I had the chance to try it first hand.

Having been satisfied from the test drive I wrote a detailed e-mail to JamSport in Thessaloniki explaining my requirements and usage of the car and I proceeded with the order.

The company that made them: https://www.facebook.com/pages/JamSp...62829767098924. It is one of Bilstein's service centres that has the rights to manufacture (the equivalent of Chevron in Greece).

http://translate.google.com/translat...rticle%3D12286

http://www.a-car.gr/index.php?option...tems&Itemid=53

For what it's worth, JamSport has recently won a contract to make Bilstein suspension for Porsches that race around the Ring.

The suspension was sent by courier and I found a chance to have it installed earlier in the week.

I should note the excellent customer service I received from JamSport here as the rear springs were scratched during transportation and JamSport sent me a new set FOC!

You may wonder why I care about scratched springs as noone will see them, the reason was not due to aisthetics but they would rust in winter due to the salt on the roads.

The shock bodies are galvanised and the aluminium spring perches anodised.

The installation, corner weighting and wheel alignment took place at Richard's in Tracktive Solutions.

Just by looking at them Ricard commented how well made they are compared with the chinese/taiwanese cheap solutions available in the market.

Upon completion of the work and before settling out the paperwork, Matt (Richard's mechanic) asked me to take the car out for a test drive.

I was looking forward to this moment impatiently; although I had already tested the suspension in my friend's car I didn't know what to expect in mine and on different roads.

The 15-minute test drive that followed is still imprinted in my mind.

On consecutive 70-80 mph bends (on a private road) the car's grip and flow is phenomenal, it stays planted on the ground on yabs and the roll has been greatly reduced.

The combination of the new Group N / STi top mounts and the wheel alignment have made the car very agile; the steering's feel and turn-in is razor sharp and the car turns in one piece now.

Due to the stiffer springs/shocks, the car brakes a lot better and the brake response is instant (it is like having anchors for brakes) since the braking is transformed into deceleration instead of suspension dive.

The suspension has a stiff-sweet feel which I cannot describe with words; it is a little stiffer than the OEM shocks with the pink springs but absorbs pot holes very well with a "quality paff paff sound".

The car feels like a big 205 GTi and I have fallen in love with it again!

All struts are inverted monotube

The spring rates I am using are 5kg/mm front and 3.7 kg/mm rear (STi pinks are 3.6 kg/mm front and 3.4 kg/mm rear)

The wheel alignment figures are:

Left Right
Front toe: +0.24 +0.24
Front camber: -1°32' -1°35'

Rear toe: +0.24 +0.24
Rear camber: -1°28' -1°24'

Matt was not a fan of the skinny Eibach camber bolts that I had bought so he ovaled the holes on the shock with a Dremel to get the camber we wanted.

Corner weighting (car empty but fuel tank to the brim):

How the car sits at the monent with 45kg of load in the boot. If it settles more I might have to raise it a little.

Last edited by fpan; 18 October 2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 20 October 2013, 05:10 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the damping adjustable on these? Did you get a dyno plot for dampers? Curious to see how the valving is set up.
Old 20 October 2013, 05:14 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

costs?
Old 21 October 2013, 11:27 AM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Was going to ask that ^, probably quite a bit.
Old 21 October 2013, 11:37 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Arnie, it was my choice not to go for an adjustable damping, the car only sees the track once a year or so (if that) and I couldn't justify the extra cost (+600€).

Besides, I believe a damper has a range to be used with a matched spring so the adjustability is something that needs a lot of discussion IMHO.

No, I don't have the dyno plot, I would be interested to know it as well.

Cost was 1200€ + VAT
Old 21 October 2013, 12:55 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Not to be confused with JamSport in Northampton obviously.
Old 21 October 2013, 01:31 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daveyj
Not to be confused with JamSport in Northampton obviously.
Good point, indeed
Old 21 October 2013, 10:50 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
Arnie, it was my choice not to go for an adjustable damping, the car only sees the track once a year or so (if that) and I couldn't justify the extra cost (+600€).

Besides, I believe a damper has a range to be used with a matched spring so the adjustability is something that needs a lot of discussion IMHO.

No, I don't have the dyno plot, I would be interested to know it as well.

Cost was 1200€ + VAT
absolutely agree. of course, its absolutely critical that the company does a proper job of setting up the valving. And it seems they have in your case. Fantastic. I think non adjustables are great as long as they are valved "properly". I honestly haven't been to happy with various recent Billy valving. Stuff feels way too overdamped. As if the marketing arm got ahold of the engineers and said "but, that's what the young kids want! they want it to feel stiff and punishingly go cart like". So, happy yours seem old school supple but controlled. You should request a dyno sheet for the dampers. If JS are indeed building these up themselves they certainly have a shock dyno.
Old 26 October 2013, 04:46 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Good stuff Fivos , now you come down to Brands Hatch in December and join us for a track day.... I read before your comments about the AST's and remember you saying you couldn't find your perfect ride settings with them. Me personally , i havent noticed anything like that and i found them way more absorbing then my KYB Ultra Sr Eibach pro kit setup. I have just done Geo again with my "last" suspension goodies and i so far so good. I like the feedback.. For the price you've mentioned on these i think the B14's were very near that?? Might be wrong thought...
Old 26 October 2013, 09:46 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
absolutely agree. of course, its absolutely critical that the company does a proper job of setting up the valving. And it seems they have in your case. Fantastic. I think non adjustables are great as long as they are valved "properly". I honestly haven't been to happy with various recent Billy valving. Stuff feels way too overdamped. As if the marketing arm got ahold of the engineers and said "but, that's what the young kids want! they want it to feel stiff and punishingly go cart like". So, happy yours seem old school supple but controlled. You should request a dyno sheet for the dampers. If JS are indeed building these up themselves they certainly have a shock dyno.
Surprising comment from you Arnie What's your experience been?

I was very pleased my recent B8's on the VRS. The felt 'characteristically Bilstein' just the same as the ones on my Impreza, which IMO would count as old skool, no?

Old 26 October 2013, 09:48 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mantazini
Good stuff Fivos , now you come down to Brands Hatch in December and join us for a track day.... I read before your comments about the AST's and remember you saying you couldn't find your perfect ride settings with them. Me personally , i havent noticed anything like that and i found them way more absorbing then my KYB Ultra Sr Eibach pro kit setup. I have just done Geo again with my "last" suspension goodies and i so far so good. I like the feedback.. For the price you've mentioned on these i think the B14's were very near that?? Might be wrong thought...
Do tell of your latest goodies
Old 30 October 2013, 03:07 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Do tell of your latest goodies
Not my thread , Fivos can for that

I'm documenting all my stuff in my broken English in one of the threads on MSOC section...