Notices

Replacement Dampers

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2013, 11:05 PM
MTF
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Dampers

Here's hoping some of you clued up guys can help!

I recently purchased a WRX 300 and have noticed (the much talked about!) knocking rear shocks. The dealer I bought it from kindly offered to replace the offending damper (rear o/s). Unfortunately, while at the garage today I was told by the mechanic that the replacement damper could not be fitted as it was too small by comparison to the n/s damper and for this reason he could not fit it as car will not sit right / ride properly.

In response to this the dealer has said that he will replace both dampers if I contribute 25% of the cost. However, these will be the smaller dampers as he will not pay Subaru prices for like for like replacements. What impact will this change have on handling? I could also replace with an aftermarket solution and have the dealer contibute the same amount towards it.

I am completely stuck as I love the car and want to make sure that nothing happens to compromise the handling but don't have enough knowledge to make an informed decision! Ideas anyone...?
Old 22 June 2013, 01:11 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

I would go with KYB shocks which cost less than Subaru OE replacement.
Please have look on the Camskill

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m10b0s2662...ion_-_Shockers

People over here running KYB happily on their cars without the problems

Jura
Old 22 June 2013, 01:33 AM
MTF
Scooby Newbie

[quote=jura11;11128168]Hi there

Jura[/quote

Sorry to be completely new to this but where does 'over here' mean? Are you suggesting that I don't go with standard parts. Had a look at Camskill but in all honesty couldn't find anything that answered my issues! I really am a novice! Cheers.
Old 22 June 2013, 02:03 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=MTF;11128171]
Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

Jura[/quote

Sorry to be completely new to this but where does 'over here' mean? Are you suggesting that I don't go with standard parts. Had a look at Camskill but in all honesty couldn't find anything that answered my issues! I really am a novice! Cheers.

Hi there

This word "over here" means,people over here Scoobynet running them on their cars,just search on this forum about the KYB

OEM shocks are expensive,usually Subaru asking for new shock £200 onwards.
Shock for yours WRX(UK300) are here(I previously posted different link,but this now is correct)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m10b0s2713...ion_-_Shockers

Those shocks will fit yours without the problem,pair of the shocks cost £163 which is not bad price

People running them and rating them highly(those KYB),handling will be same as yours which you have fitted,main thing what you will need to have look,get on yours have proper wheel alignment(Prodrive settings are probably good starting point,but you can have look here on different threads about the recommended settings)

Jura
Old 22 June 2013, 02:18 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Excellent replacement as Jura mentioned...
Old 22 June 2013, 03:55 PM
MTF
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys. Its actually a 55 plate 300 rather than the older UK 300. I presume the KYBs would still be a good option, a bit more expensive at £217.50?
Cheers
Old 22 June 2013, 07:59 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MTF
Thanks guys. Its actually a 55 plate 300 rather than the older UK 300. I presume the KYBs would still be a good option, a bit more expensive at £217.50?
Cheers
KYB Excel-G pair cost £163.95 which are still great upgrade against yours which you have already fitted

Difference between the Bugeye or Blobeye/Hawkeye is only cosmetic like on exterior/interior,but shocks/coilovers are same(just STI from 05 have different PCD 5X114.3,WRX have same PCD 5X100)

Jura

Trending Topics

Old 23 June 2013, 06:07 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
KYB Excel-G pair cost £163.95 which are still great upgrade against yours which you have already fitted

Difference between the Bugeye or Blobeye/Hawkeye is only cosmetic like on exterior/interior,but shocks/coilovers are same(just STI from 05 have different PCD 5X114.3,WRX have same PCD 5X100)

Jura
Not exactly Jura, when i bought a set for mine i did a research and found out that bug/blob strut mounting end , where you put the top mount and secure the bolt was different . I suggest to give a chassis number to the dealer to get the correct ones.

Old 24 June 2013, 01:48 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mantazini
Not exactly Jura, when i bought a set for mine i did a research and found out that bug/blob strut mounting end , where you put the top mount and secure the bolt was different . I suggest to give a chassis number to the dealer to get the correct ones.

I think this is main issue on STi and not WRX(I think later STi using different bump stop, which can be easy sorted by some sort of spacers),just due WRX still using same or similar spec of the shocks,but maybe I'm too wrong

Jura
Old 24 June 2013, 08:14 PM
MTF
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys. Have now narrowed it down to either fitting 2 rear Excel Gs or replacing all four corners with Ultra SRs. I would be using stock springs still as don't feel the need to lower the car at all. Bit worried that the Ultra SRs might be too stiff for everyday use though - would I see an improvement in handling that would make the solid ride worthwhile or would it just be a rough ride with no benefit? Cheers.
Old 01 July 2013, 11:33 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

My friends blob with excel G's and same spring is softer and nicer for a daily use, my SR's are a bit stiffer and would get a bit anoying on a very long journey. But its not my daily ride and it shines when you drive it hard.