Notices

Raising ride height improves handling

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2013, 09:46 PM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising ride height improves handling

I fitted BC coilovers to my MY05 WRX about a year ago and then set about lowering the ride height to improve handling. I eventually went down to 355 mm front and about 345 mm rear. Whiteline stiffer rear ARB also fitted at same time. To be honest handling was terrible and I couldn't work out why. I have been reading with interest stuff about roll centre and initially thought that this couldn't possibly make sense. Lower ride height, lower centre of gravity must be good thing. Eventually whilst renovating my front brake caliper for the third time (seized piston again), I thought I'd try raising ride height. I ofted for 380 front and 360 rear (thanks Bonesetter). Took hours - these lock rings were stuck solid. 'Special' coilover spanners useless here. With a combination of using screwdriver and hammer to turn lockrings, I managed to adjust first 3. Last one (left rear) was a b***h and threaded body just wouldn't turn. Eventually I had to turn to my last resort tool, the Stilson wrench. This tool is a bit fiddly to use but applied to upper threaded portion just below upper lockrings, grips like nothing else. Knew it would destroy threads but this part hopefully won't matter. Long metal tube (2-3 foot) over this as lever was only way to rotate the upper threaded section.

Desired ride height eventually achieved.

Was doubtful about difference it would make and fully expected lots of body roll. How wrong was I. Camber and toe will probably need to be adjusted but lack of body roll was astonishing. Steering feel also much better. Roundabouts are so much better now.

So my advice to those thinking of lowering their suspension, don't bother. It might make handling worse.

D.
Old 29 April 2013, 10:41 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

When you fitted your coil overs did you get the Geo done? As this could have F'ed the handling and when you raised it things were moved making the suspension ride right. I have Tein Coilovers on my bug and loved the difference from OE. Things improved after fitting the roll centre kit from Whiteline.
Old 29 April 2013, 10:51 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

So you learnt that lowering the car increases the roll moment of the c of g about the roll centre....

dunx

P.S. If you like it lowered consider a track rod end/ball joint swap... kits are out there !
Old 29 April 2013, 11:23 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above when you are lowering the Impreza,I would suggest and recommend as above Dunx said Roll centre kit,have run without and driving has been without the roll centre kit just not the best,with Roll centre fitted,difference is like day and night

Jura
Old 30 April 2013, 09:39 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

+1 for bump steer kit
Old 30 April 2013, 03:20 PM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Geo was checked after last lowering but probably needs done again (ball park camber adjustment done with spirit level on alloy wheel, on level ground).

Yes, if I had the money and the time then I would fit roll centre correction. Whiteline mod (ball joint, track rod) looks a good option - maybe something for the future. Although I don't want to change my suspension height ever again !

D.
Old 10 May 2013, 06:03 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

But the kit is designed to correct the roll centre to allow the car to be lowered....

That's it's reason for existing, little point adding to a car at std. ride height.

I didn't fit it because mine sat at a mere -20 mm to "look" a bit lower.

HTH

dunx
Old 10 May 2013, 10:49 PM
Wagon_Si
Scooby Regular

super pro also do the kit, fitting mine tomorrow.