Notices

08 hawkeye gb270 knocking rear struts?

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2013, 04:48 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 hawkeye gb270 knocking rear struts?

Afternoon all

First post after only buying the car 3 days ago........oh dear....

No sign of knocking when I took the car out for a test run before I bought it, but a week later and there is a definite knocking coming from the rear passenger side.

I have done a fair bit of searching on here and it looks like this is a common problem - also spotted the fix about adding a grease nipple to the strut to enable you to grease gun some grease in every so often.

Is this possible to do with the strut on the car? is there a way to tap a hole while it is in place and therefore not have to bother removing the strut first?

also any idea what would be the best coil overs for this car - or replacement struts? if i have to go down this route?

sorry it's not a more cheerier post.....but any advice would be great

I have a workshop manual on its way, but in the boot, there are plastic access plates/covers on the boot floor that may give access to the top of the struts? do the seats still need to be removed for that as well?

many thanks
Old 24 February 2013, 11:40 AM
Guardian-X-
Scooby Regular

I don't think leaving it on the car and doing the mod is going to be a good idea. Primarily because of the metal shavings that will end up int he damper housing after drilling and tapping the hole. Also not removing the old grease and just pumping new grease in it isn't really the way to go i think...

You've probably seen this already but hey can't hurt posting
Old 24 February 2013, 06:00 PM
macroo
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate yeah had a good hunt around the net and found this video and the same reasons why not to drill and tap while on the car. Tried spraying the grease on the strut which seemed to do the trick but there seems to be a knocking from the front now.....groan groan...