Notices

roll centre/anti-lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2013, 06:45 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default roll centre/anti-lift questions

I am contemplating fitting roll centre kit to my car prior to a trip to the ring in may, + perhaps an anti lift kit,

I have read in several places on here and various other forums that the tie/track rod ends are not really needed, but the ball joints are the best thing to modify to achieve a decent result without adding in extra bump steer:|, I also understand the whiteline ones have had 1 or 2 problems?

which is best to go for? (whiteline/zerosports/apex etc)

Second to this is it necessary to fit the larger correcting ball joints to the rear as well as the front? or fitting the front will have the desired beneficial effect?

Any comments advice greatly received.

Will plan on having some ride hight adjustment + full alignment after fitting for fast road once again.

Car is a 2005 widetrack with tein type flex currently fitted. (probably running a little low at 332mm/335mm (front back) hub to arch

The car currently has very good lateral grip and hardly any bump steer to speak of but is a bit bumpy at high speed due to stiffness of coilovers/ride height etc.

Dave.
Old 03 February 2013, 10:02 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dave

We are running WhiteLine Roll centre kit with WhiteLine ALK and must say,fitting Roll centre kit has been probably best our suspension upgrade,ALK not sure if I would buy again,but you can add more castor with rotating yours top mounts

Jura
Old 04 February 2013, 01:54 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your car is pretty low indeed. What height adjustment do you have planned. The ideal height for a 2005 car is 380 front & 360 rear.

You certainly need roll centre correction as your roll centre at the present height will have lowered significantly - in fact it will probably have migrated a good amount through the floor

The SuperPro castor bush is a good and effective buy. Does the castor mod to improve dynamic geo stability and increase front end grip, plus if you want anti-dive/lift you can still fit a spacer
Old 04 February 2013, 08:54 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for hijacking your thread (No I am not LOL). Jura, you talk about being able to adjust the castor by rotating the top mounts. When I replaced both front springs on my Tein Flex coilovers I am sure the top mounts only fit in one orientation due to the spacing of the three mounting studs. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 04 February 2013, 09:05 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 360ste
Sorry for hijacking your thread (No I am not LOL). Jura, you talk about being able to adjust the castor by rotating the top mounts. When I replaced both front springs on my Tein Flex coilovers I am sure the top mounts only fit in one orientation due to the spacing of the three mounting studs. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yes you can too on yours Tein rotate/flip Top mounts as per Arnie post

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...-like-bcs.html

Have look on this too

http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread.php?28396

Jura
Old 04 February 2013, 09:11 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks Jura, having recently replaced the springs it will be a while before they come off again so will have to try and remeber this.
Old 04 February 2013, 09:20 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How u fit caster bush ?
Old 05 February 2013, 12:17 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys,

is it beneficial to fit the roll centre kit (ball joints) on the rear as well as the front? or the fronts are enough, (ride hight adjusted ofc)
Old 05 February 2013, 02:13 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

There aren't any ball joints on the back. The front is where the correction happens
Old 05 February 2013, 03:16 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

I have Whiteline ALK on my uk STI. Some have and will continue to say the ALK arent as good as what they are cracked up to be but since Ive had mine on think it has reduced the dive and lift of the car on sharpe braking and full lift when flooring. As Jura says it also gives you better castor settings which improve handling.

I could be completely wrong and some say its all in the head but I beg to differ. I've never experienced roll centre kits but not ruling it out in future modifications when I have a reason to get an re-alignment done again.
Old 05 February 2013, 03:31 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Thing is Chet, the ALK (Anti-Lift-Kit) actually increases lift under acceleration and dive under braking. ALK increases front grip levels by altering tyre loading and caster
Old 05 February 2013, 05:21 PM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
There aren't any ball joints on the back. The front is where the correction happens
A meh I shouldn't be so bloody daft, I was only rubbing down the massive bolt that goes through the bottom of the hub wishbone last week :|,

however!! wouldn't some form of correction (not that I have seen anything like that available) at the rear be beneficial or would this move the roll centre (front to back) in the wrong direction

ops (Edited for incorrect quoting :O)

Last edited by Ginola; 05 February 2013 at 06:49 PM.