Notices

BC coilovers rubber top mounts

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2012, 06:26 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default BC coilovers rubber top mounts

My rear shocks have been knocking on my BC coilovers, so i was advised to swap from the solid top mounts to the rubber ones.

I've tried to swap them over today, but they don't seem to fit.

Where the spring joins the top mount there are 4 lugs (in the top mount) that the spring sits on. To me it looks like the lugs should go inside the spring, but it doesn't fit.

Looking at this pic, mine are the same as the ones on the left, and i'm trying to fit the same top mounts as on the right....

Name:  bcs.png
Views: 0
Size:  959.0 KB

The springs on the right ones are wider... does this mean i need the wider springs aswell?

Last edited by Moley; 02 January 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 30 December 2012, 08:14 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need the conical springs, I changed mine as well. Good news is that the springs are cheap from apex and it makes the coilovers silent.
dipster
Old 30 December 2012, 08:24 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Just wished they'd told me that when i ordered them.
Old 31 December 2012, 10:19 PM
shag
Scooby Regular

sorry to jump on this thread but my rear bc coilover tops have collapsed!!! so is it apex i need to get some replacements and are they better now?
Old 31 December 2012, 10:50 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you just buy the top mounts Gary or the full set up, as iirc the knocking issue is now sorted with rubber mounts supplied when bought new as a package
Old 31 December 2012, 11:24 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Just the top mounts..... i wasn't told i'd need the springs to match, hence the problem
Old 31 December 2012, 11:27 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Bit naughty of them, you could had them done by now then, hate delayed jobs
Old 02 January 2013, 10:45 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Just to add... spoke to Apex who have sent me the springs free of charge.

Mistakes can obviously happen with any company, but it's how those problems are dealt with that matters, and i cannot fault Apex at all on that, VERY impressed.

Fanastic customer service!
Old 11 January 2013, 10:18 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

The thread I've been waiting for, I have the same issue with my RM series. Will have to put a call in to apex.

Can I ask how easy it is to change the whole lot over?
Old 11 January 2013, 10:43 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Not too bad actually, didn't take long at all.

Makes a massive difference, much better. No knocks at all, and feels nice and solid at the back.

I ended up buying another set of the springs between finding the spring problem and Apex sending a set... so if you want them you can have them for £25 (which is what i paid for them on the 22b forum)
Old 12 January 2013, 12:21 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

What rate springs are they bud? Are they the ones which work with the rubber mounts?
Old 12 January 2013, 05:09 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Rate is 5 i believe.

Yep, the ones for the rubber OE style mounts (in the right in the top picture)
Old 12 January 2013, 09:49 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

I'll check the rates on mine and get back to you, think mine might have 5's on already? Looking to go a tad softer possibly.
Old 13 January 2013, 12:31 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Had to get mine replaces also on my 05 Blob....the knocking was terrible!!

All good now with the rubber ones fitted same as above, replaced free of charge by Bren @ APEX....absolute gent that man, very helpful and does all he can to sort you out
Old 13 January 2013, 01:00 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it quieten's them down no end, i find the bcs on soft setting a better ride than my standard sti shocks ever were.
Old 13 January 2013, 01:50 PM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Not too bad actually, didn't take long at all.

Makes a massive difference, much better. No knocks at all, and feels nice and solid at the back.

I ended up buying another set of the springs between finding the spring problem and Apex sending a set... so if you want them you can have them for £25 (which is what i paid for them on the 22b forum)
You swap solid for rubber top mounts and you feel back more solid ?

Last edited by fawor; 13 January 2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 13 January 2013, 04:38 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by fawor
You swap solid for rubber top mounts and you feel back more solid ?
Solid might be the wrong word.... rear feels 'tighter' if that makes sense?
Old 13 January 2013, 04:47 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

some of us have had these noises since the group buy, shame Apex dont sort the ones who have suffered from day one.
Old 14 January 2013, 02:54 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

They sorted mine out, and I was in the group buy
Just phone them...

dipster
Old 14 January 2013, 03:30 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

woo woo woo hold up.

I had the dreaded knocking noise on the standard shocks in the rear so upgraded to a set of BCs' (RM series I believe).

What are we saying here that these are likely to go again as well i.e. likey cause the rear rubber mounts?

And if the knocking turns out to be the mounts, that new springs will be need as well???

someone answer this please, correct me if I am reading this wrong
Old 14 January 2013, 03:46 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Hate to confirm this but my RM series have knocked for a while now. I contacted Apex today and they are willing to send out rubber mounts free of charge as long as you can prove proof of purchase in some form ie, doesn't have had to be bought through them but he said they do need a serial number or similar from the receipt.

Annoyingly I bought mine 2nd hand off here so tracking down the sellar now to see if he has any paper work, if not its £50 a pair plus I'll need the correct springs to fit, not sure on price for them.
Old 14 January 2013, 06:24 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chet123
woo woo woo hold up.

I had the dreaded knocking noise on the standard shocks in the rear so upgraded to a set of BCs' (RM series I believe).

What are we saying here that these are likely to go again as well i.e. likey cause the rear rubber mounts?

And if the knocking turns out to be the mounts, that new springs will be need as well???

someone answer this please, correct me if I am reading this wrong
NO don't worry, the rubber top mounts replace the solid rears that can knock.

dipster
Old 14 January 2013, 08:00 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kedlestone
Hate to confirm this but my RM series have knocked for a while now. I contacted Apex today and they are willing to send out rubber mounts free of charge as long as you can prove proof of purchase in some form ie, doesn't have had to be bought through them but he said they do need a serial number or similar from the receipt.

Annoyingly I bought mine 2nd hand off here so tracking down the sellar now to see if he has any paper work, if not its £50 a pair plus I'll need the correct springs to fit, not sure on price for them.
I didn't have proof as the coilovers were fitted to the car when i bought it, i think i paid £66 delivered.

The springs are £60 for a pair + delivery
Old 14 January 2013, 08:01 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by davedipster
NO don't worry, the rubber top mounts replace the solid rears that can knock.

dipster
This
Old 15 January 2013, 12:10 PM
Ann@apex
Scooby Regular

If anyone has a problem with their coilovers all you have to do is give us a call. We do not shy away from problems and will do everything we can to help.

There is no point just complaining on here when a thread pops up as the forums are not always dealt with on a daily basis and it is much quicker to call as we can resolve issues there and then. We have replaced all of the top mounts that we are aware of but have sold alot of kits so cannot physically contact everyone on the off chance that they may have a fault. Not all of the coilovers are faulty and we changed the design of these as soon as we were aware of an issue.

Again, anyone who has a problem, please feel free to call us on 01274 683633.
Old 15 January 2013, 02:54 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I didn't have proof as the coilovers were fitted to the car when i bought it, i think i paid £66 delivered.

The springs are £60 for a pair + delivery
Ann, can you confirm weather or not you do indeed need proof of purchase or not as Moley above mentions he didn't have to produce this to get his replacements. Please don't mistake this for a complaint, I just want to make sure I'm not paying for something I shouldn't be or visa-versa.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:07 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

1: The inverted RM Series have a nut on the bottom of the damper unit that can work loose on the earlier kits. It only takes half a turn to cause the strut to knock.

The solution is to remove the nut, degrease the threads and the nut itself and refit with thread lock.

The factory now use a lock nut and thread lock from new to eliminate the nut coming loose.

If you have RM Series then this is your first port of call.

The RM Series come with camber adjustable rose jointed rear top mounts as part of their specification. This is a solid mount so is more prone to transmitting noise into the cabin than OEM style BUT the most likely cause of any noise is the bottom nut that wants a nip.

2: The 2000-2007 Impreza are prone to transmitting knocking noises through to the cabin. You'll find this issue with a wide range of coilovers that use a solid rear top mount. Once we realised the details of the situation, and this was some years ago now, we developed an OEM style rear top mount that eradicated the issue.

The knocking being transmitted through the rear is a characteristic of the later Impreza suspension design when combined with a rigid mount. Its not a suspension kit fault, its an inherent car design characteristic as borne out by even the biggest brands in the market having knocking noises with the 200-2007 cars. Our normal mount design is fit for purpose and satisfactory in operation for every other car out there bar one. The GC8, for example, uses our normal mount with no issues.

Any kit that reuses the original rear top mount will be less prone to knocking noises compared to a full kit that comes with uprated aluminum mounts as part of the set up.

On occasion we will offer the rear springs and top mounts for free, this is dealt with on a case by case basis.

If we have no proof the kit came from us originally then its difficult for us to justify the expense involved when the kit could have been grey imported or purchased before we took over distribution of the BC Racing brand.

However again, we will look at any enquiries, just fire over your info via email to sales@apexperformance.co.uk and we will do what we can to help. We aren't here to be obstructive, there is a reason why BC Racing is now so big in the UK market and that is because we are reactive to any issues that arise and do try our best to resolve matters to our customers satisfaction

JDM_Stig,

The reason why we couldn't come to a conclusion nor find fault with your kit four years ago was that you bought it back in 2009 and at that point we hadn't traced the noise down to the OE original suspension design nor did we have the OEM style rear mounts as a solution. We now have a solution.
Old 17 May 2021, 01:20 PM
Juanhnrqz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Moley
My rear shocks have been knocking on my BC coilovers, so i was advised to swap from the solid top mounts to the rubber ones.

Where the spring joins the top mount there are 4 lugs (in the top mount) that the spring sits on. To me it looks like the lugs should go inside the spring, but it doesn't fit.

Looking at this pic, mine are the same as the ones on the left, and i'm trying to fit the same top mounts as on the right....

Attachment 57415

The springs on the right ones are wider... does this mean i need the wider springs aswell?
Can you please share the link where you found these I’ve been trying to find them no luck at all the noise my coils are making is driving me insane would appreciate the help thanks
Old 17 May 2021, 01:22 PM
Juanhnrqz
Scooby Newbie

[QUOTE=Moley;10924082]My rear shocks have been knocking on my BC coilovers, so i was advised to swap from the solid top mounts to the rubber ones.

Attachment 57415

The springs on the right ones are wider... does this mean i need the wider springs aswell?[/QUOTE

would you be able to share the link where you found these been trying to find them no luck would appreciate it thanks
Old 21 May 2021, 10:35 AM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

If you're based in the states you'll need to contact the American distributor or a shop which deals with them and ask for the necessary parts as Apex are UK based. You'll need the rubber top mounts and tapered springs to suit, in the spring rate to match what you already have.