Notices

What suspension upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2012, 06:47 PM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What suspension upgrades?

Hi guys, after a little advice if possible.

I've had a 2007 Sti for a week now and am loving it. Im already looking at a few modifications to do and was hoping you guys could advise be on the best band for buck mods.

My other car, Octavia vRS, has quite a few modifications and on the suspension front, has eibachs, a Whiteline RARB (set to the hardest setting) and the anti-lift kit. I know these are relatively cheap mods, but they transformed the car no end.

I have been looking at similar products for the Sti and was wondering what you guys have and what order you would fit them. Im initially thinking springs, as it does sit a little high and the RARB.

Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks, Nick.
Old 15 December 2012, 10:43 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

You can follow the same upgrade path with your STi as you did with your Skoda. Whiteline 22mm front and a 24mm Rear adjustable ARB plus endlinks, a Comfort ALK and then a proper fast road geometry will transform your car. Easily the best bang for the buck mods you can do.

Come spring time, you'd be advised to remove the rear struts, clean out the OEM grease and then pack them with fresh, high quality synthetic grease. This will prevent the typical knocking and stiction issues these struts usually have. Do a search here or on NASIOC or IWSTI for tips on how to do that.

Springs will be a minor upgrade in handling, to be honest, in comparison for to the ARBs. If you do go the spring route, I'd recommend the Red Prodrive STi springs. They come with a new, stiffer, shorter front bumpstop which is pretty critical as even at OEM rideheight, the strut is just barely above contacting the bumpstop. When installing the bumpstop, might as well give the front struts the same clean and regrease as the rears. Avoid Tein STechs.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 15 December 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 18 December 2012, 04:10 PM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that reply. Ive been doing a little research and have been talking to Litchfield about their Type20/25 handling packages. Basically, the cheaper version comes with ARB's front and rear, anti-lift kit, steering bushes and a geometry setup. Seems to include pretty much everything just to sharpen her up a tad. I've also asked for a quote including springs. I promised my wife that I wouldn't be modifying this car. She's going to kill me!
Old 18 December 2012, 04:22 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Springs (Eibach/Prodrive/STi pinks) and a 22mm ARB.

I wouldn't fit ASTs, had them in my Forester, it handled great but only on smooth roads, otherwise the car felt bouncy and not planted.
Old 18 December 2012, 04:37 PM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

AST's?
Old 18 December 2012, 10:57 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Coilovers, part of the Type20/25 package you mentioned above.
Old 19 December 2012, 01:20 AM
nobafett
Scooby Regular

Cool, thanks. I can't afford those anyway so....