Notices

Classic struts on a newage wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2012, 01:46 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic struts on a newage wagon?

In the not too distant future, I will need to replace my rear struts. I'd like to fit adjustable struts all round however, they only seem to be available for the saloon and therefore would cause geometry issues due to the narrower track on the wagon.

I came across this thread the other day...

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-parts-...g-springs.html

...which seems to suggest that I could fit classic struts to my wagon. IIRC the wagon has the same track as the classics.

Does anyone know if this approach would work? Has anyone done this themselves?
Old 20 April 2012, 02:29 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think those(KYB AGX) running JonMC on his bugeye

And we are running Saloon coilovers(HSD HR) on our wagon

Jura
Old 20 April 2012, 03:26 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

I plan on running the car as a normal road car for another couple of years at which point, I hope to be able to get a new road car and convert the bug to a track toy. When I do, I'll most likely fit coil overs which obviously have the benefit of more camber adjustment than the stock setup.

At the moment though, I only plan on using it for a handful of track days a year but would be keen on being able to tweak the damper settings a bit. I guess with rear camber bolts I could dial in the lost negative camber at the rear but IIRC normal GDA/B saloon struts on a GG wagon would be pretty close to the limits of what the camber bolts can claw back?

Have had a look at the KYB catalog which lists different part numbers for the GC and GG so I'm not so sure that it's as direct a swap as the KYB AGX thread suggests ;o)

PS Love your wagon by the way Jira... have been following your build thread ;o)
Old 21 April 2012, 12:34 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gigsy
I plan on running the car as a normal road car for another couple of years at which point, I hope to be able to get a new road car and convert the bug to a track toy. When I do, I'll most likely fit coil overs which obviously have the benefit of more camber adjustment than the stock setup.

At the moment though, I only plan on using it for a handful of track days a year but would be keen on being able to tweak the damper settings a bit. I guess with rear camber bolts I could dial in the lost negative camber at the rear but IIRC normal GDA/B saloon struts on a GG wagon would be pretty close to the limits of what the camber bolts can claw back?

Have had a look at the KYB catalog which lists different part numbers for the GC and GG so I'm not so sure that it's as direct a swap as the KYB AGX thread suggests ;o)

PS Love your wagon by the way Jira... have been following your build thread ;o)

Hi there i think classic coilovers(or strut/shocks) will fit yours,but you will need swap the rear top mounts...

We are running HSD HR which are OK(we are running on firm setting,not bad,but in bucket seats is it feel),but i would go next time with KW or Nitron which are best for track and they're have excellent reputation too for road users

With KYB AGX you should be able do some track days and still have comfort on the road,they're popular in USA and still think those are best from KYB

About the camber,we are running 245/40 ZR18 and we are been limited at front camber at -1.5 without the camber bolts,but with normal size of wheels you should be able run -2.0 without the problem without the camber bolts,at rear we are not running camber bolts(before our setup has been at rear -2.31,now we are running -1.36),but not sure if you can able setup the camber on KYB AGX,but option can be Camber plates

We are run our conservative setup(FR -1.34,RR -2.31),which has been amazing on Drag,but on track has been just horror,after trying next setup front end just lift(we have fitted ALK,but this ALK is in my view useless) under heavy acceleration and on the drag front just spin like crazy,now we are running again new setup and how it feels not sure,we must wait until new track days and drag

Thanks for comment about the wagon

Jura
Old 21 April 2012, 07:38 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

see Arnie's post below

Last edited by bonesetter; 22 April 2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 21 April 2012, 08:58 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Jura- the ALK does not prevent lift. It actually creates more lift (and more dive). Its called the anti-lift kit because it affects the Anti geometry (reducing it). Its effects are 3 fold:

1. Reduction in anti geometry, softening the front end to provide more traction under acceleration and braking.
2. more static positive caster, ca. .5 deg
3. more dynamic caster through the stiffer bushing

Bonesetter - KYB AGX is available in Classic shape and GD (bug-eye sedan) shape. There is no wagon fitment. There is/was the GR2 strut (non adjustable with a mild increase in damper stiffness. Considered a stock replacement strut) which was wagon specific for bug-eye.

Do no use Classic struts on a wagon. Though they share the same track, the lower clevis and front lower spring perch are different between the two chassis. Using the classic strut on a GG wagon will result in less negative camber up front and a higher ride height (the lower spring perch on the front is mounted a bit higher) and massive amounts of rear negative camber. If you want to use an adjustable fixed perch damper for the GG, just use a GD strut (Tokico DSpec or KYB AGX or Öhlins or Koni insert). All three of those, except koni were only available as bug eye fitment. Which means you need to use bug eye springs and rear upper mount. You can use an 04+ rear mount and spring type but you will need to to use a spacer on the rear strut spigot. Koni is the only manufacturer who developed a rear strut for the 04+. Using the sedan strut on a wagon gives you less neg camber adjustability in the front. You'll only be able to get about -.8 max. Rear is not bad, you actually get a wee bit less than running a wagon strut. Which is better for reducing understeer. Ca. -1.5 or so.

As far as your (bonesetter) camber is concerned, remember you are running sedan front control arms so you don't have the camber issues when running a sedan strut. You ARE using wagon struts so you will get easily -2 deg or a bit more using the standard camber bolt.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 22 April 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 21 April 2012, 12:46 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for coming in - I knew if us lot got it so monumentally wrong someone like you would come in and put us right

I don't know why scoobynet doesn't do sticky's for all this stuff. It's always like every thread like this is the first time the question's ever been asked so everyone's fumbling in the dark
Old 21 April 2012, 09:44 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
Do no use Classic struts on a wagon. Though they share the same the lower clevis and lower spring perch are different between the two chassis.

Using the sedan strut on a wagon gives you less neg camber adjustability in the front. You'll only be able to get about -.8 max. Rear is not bad, you actually get a wee bit less than running a wagon strut. Which is better for reducing understeer. Ca. -1.5 or so.
Thanks just the info I was after.
Old 22 April 2012, 09:41 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Whoops, in your above quote I forgot to type "track", "though they share the same track..." I'll edit my post.

Bonesetter, I'm sure a lot of this stuff is buried deep in the archives? Though I haven't personally checked. Since scoobs have come down so much in price, its really a brand new group of people getting into them so its like passing on this info all over again, respectively rediscovering it all again. Kinda fun from my perspective.