BC Coilover Ride Height Question

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2012, 07:31 PM
Tegra Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BC Coilover Ride Height Question

Hi All,

Me and a pal bought our 2004 STI's a set of coilover each this week and go round to fitting them today.

As I understand it the pre-load is all set at the factory so all we had to do was fit them which other than a few sticking bolts was good fun, all fitted, wheels on and looking sexy so now it was time to adjust the ride height. . . .but then . . . . I re-read the instructions to find out that to adjust the ride height I had to take the wheels back off, unscrew the shocks from the wheel hub and then twist the bottoms round to dial in the correct height.

So it is all done and back together, I have 135mm between the bottom lock ring and the lower of the two top lock rings. The car sits perfectly but have I done this right? Should I have done anything else?

Many thanks
Old 31 March 2012, 07:35 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as you tightened up the bottom locking ring should be fine, only problem i had was after the car had settled on the springs they became a bit loose and rattled a bit so i had to readjust the preload.
also you will need to get the geometry set again
Old 31 March 2012, 07:48 PM
Tegra Boy
Scooby Regular

Tommy, that brings me on to my next question where is the best place to go for a fast road alignment, I hear there is someone in Berkshire but I do not know their name?

Anyone?
Old 31 March 2012, 07:52 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tegra Boy
Tommy, that brings me on to my next question where is the best place to go for a fast road alignment, I hear there is someone in Berkshire but I do not know their name?

Anyone?
i would make sure your 100% your happy with the ride height,let it settle for a few days, re adjust preload then get it aligned.

im sure some one will point you in the right direction of places to go, cant help you on that one.
Old 31 March 2012, 08:13 PM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

You shouldn't need to take the bottom off the hub? Just unlock the bottom lock collar, thread it up as much as you want to drop it, then rotate the upper of the spring lock collars and it will thread the shock down through the bottom mount. You should support the hub whilst this is being done so to not strip the threads. This is assuming the shock rotates freely as with Teins/Meisters.