DIY fitment of BC's.

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2011, 02:37 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY fitment of BC's.

Hi all,

After finally finding some Pff's I'm now looking at buying some BC's for my 04 rex. I've had a few quotes on fitting but several people tell me actually it's not that hard to fit them yourself as long as you get it 4 wheel laser aligned after.

How true is this? And how long should I set aside for it?

Thanks all.

Last edited by Kedlestone; 14 November 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 14 November 2011, 02:53 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

It's a doddle to do.

1.5 hours should be an absolute maximum.

The only difficulties you may have is undoing the strut - hub bolts due to corrosion.

It really is a case of undoing the two 19mm strut to hub bolts at the bottom of the strut and the three 12mm nuts at the top of the strut, removing the brake line off the strut ( you don't have to break the seal of the line so rebleeding the brakes isn't necessary). That's it.
Old 14 November 2011, 02:56 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

just take note on the front camber bolts m8, best to mark them as if they go back in wrong it will throw the alighnment out,
steve
Old 14 November 2011, 03:02 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

He'll need the alignment doing again anyway regardless of where you mark things.
Old 14 November 2011, 03:04 PM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

fitted these to my classic a few months back.
you will notice as mentioned above that the front top hub bolt is a camber bolt.
the same bolt on the rear is not a camber bolt (At least on my classic) but the hole in the BC was bigger than the bolt. as a result the top of the hub can sit out further than normal and cause the wheel to touch the arches (did for me) so check that and make sure you push the top of the hub in towards the car when you do up the two bolts that bolt the top of the hub to the damper
Old 14 November 2011, 03:31 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the quick replies guys, think I'll go ahead with it all then.
Old 14 November 2011, 03:35 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by dazdavies
He'll need the alignment doing again anyway regardless of where you mark things.
Definately get that done professionally. Got BC coilovers set up just right. Well the way I want them lol. Amazing is all I can say lmaooo

Trending Topics

Old 14 November 2011, 03:38 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andy-m
fitted these to my classic a few months back.
you will notice as mentioned above that the front top hub bolt is a camber bolt.
the same bolt on the rear is not a camber bolt (At least on my classic) but the hole in the BC was bigger than the bolt. as a result the top of the hub can sit out further than normal and cause the wheel to touch the arches (did for me) so check that and make sure you push the top of the hub in towards the car when you do up the two bolts that bolt the top of the hub to the damper
The elongated hole in the rear BC's allow some camber adjustment so when you get the alignment done, make sure the guy knows this or he may assume the camber is non-adjustable as per std. struts.
Tell the mech. what alignment you want (camber and toe) or he will probably just plonk it within the Subaru standard figures.

JohnD

PS Unwind the hub bracket on the BC's at least 4-5 turns before fitting otherwise the car will be far too low (They're short for packaging purposes?) Drive the car to settle the springs then check ride height at each corner - you may need 2 or 3 goes at getting to what you want and it MUST be on absolutely level ground and do this before you get the alignment done!

Last edited by JohnD; 14 November 2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 14 November 2011, 11:40 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
It's a doddle to do.

1.5 hours should be an absolute maximum.

The only difficulties you may have is undoing the strut - hub bolts due to corrosion.

It really is a case of undoing the two 19mm strut to hub bolts at the bottom of the strut and the three 12mm nuts at the top of the strut, removing the brake line off the strut ( you don't have to break the seal of the line so rebleeding the brakes isn't necessary). That's it.
I helped a mate who's A mechanic swap my standard wrx shocks to some shocks with prodrive springs this evening. I was quite suprised how easy it was, we did it in about 2 hours but that included having a nose around an ex sas ****** land rover painted in matte black that was in his workshop

I was quite suprised at the size of the bolts holding the top of the shock inplace, they don't look big enough!

Knowing how easy it is now, I'd definitely have a go myself next time.
Old 19 November 2011, 03:32 PM
Fleetwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by addi monster
just take note on the front camber bolts m8, best to mark them as if they go back in wrong it will throw the alighnment out,
steve
The different ride height will also make a difference so the old setting will unlikely be correct.
If you get the front adjustable camber plates then I just set the camber bolts to neutral and adjust via the camber plates when I take it to get laser aligned.

It's the lazy man way!