Notices

lowering my hawkeye

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2011, 07:52 PM
scottie wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering my hawkeye

Hi guys I'm thinking about lowering my hawkeye not too low just so the wheels sit a little better in arches, would you reccomend and what would you recommend, I can't really afford coil overs just yet so what springs would you use?

Regards scottie
Old 09 August 2011, 08:44 PM
Wagon Gaz
Scooby Regular

Got Prodrive springs on mine mate rides well you will need to get your geometry sorted afterwards.
Old 09 August 2011, 09:13 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scooby suspension doesn't like being lowered.

Having said that the prodrive springs do lower and work really well (they just don't over lower)
Old 09 August 2011, 09:34 PM
DantheMan2605
Scooby Regular

I have BC coilovers on mine, lowered by 3/4 - 1" at the front, Car is on rails although a major pain in the **** as i cant put my front splitter on, otherwise itll scrape on and off the drive!

Think ill be raising it back up to get the splitter on soon... but not too soon, having to much fun at the mo.

Old 09 August 2011, 10:42 PM
scottie wrx
Scooby Regular

What does geometry mean, also what is a lift kit?
Old 10 August 2011, 10:21 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Have Eibach on mine which lower it 24mm or so.
In simple terms geometry relates to the angles at which your suspension components are adjusted to push the tyre onto the road . Such things as understeer can be dialled out with geometry setups
Old 10 August 2011, 10:32 PM
scottie wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
Have Eibach on mine which lower it 24mm or so.
In simple terms geometry relates to the angles at which your suspension components are adjusted to push the tyre onto the road . Such things as understeer can be dialled out with geometry setups
Ok that's pretty cool, where abouts do you have to go to get this sort of thing done?

Regards scottie
Old 11 August 2011, 11:40 AM
budd
Scooby Regular

A simple geometry check can be done by most garages/trye fitters you'll probaly only need the front toe adjusting with lowering springs and a simple tracking check and setup will sort this. But if you can get the car on a 4 wheel laser alinement jig then you'll get a much better idea of your whole set up and if other settings are way out (camber, castor ) then these may need addressing also a 4 wheel system will allow the rear toe to be checked and adjusted as necessary.
Lowering springs typically give a 25-35mm drop with can be accomodated with basic geometry set up but if you decide to go lower with coilovers this will effect your cars roll centre and actually make the handling worse.
In simple terms your front arms (steering and bottom wish bone) should be parallel to the ground, lowering the suspension changes this angle effectively raising the tips of the arms, the more you lower the worse it is and the more the handling deteriorates, roll center adjustment kits are available from Whiteline and Super Pro etc these kits are replacement lower ball joints and track rod ends, the replacement joints are manufactured in such a way as to restore the arms to correct the parallel position. I think you have to go pretty low before this becomes a serious problem but an easy way to check the arms, get to car on flat level ground and have A good look under the front, the lower wish bone and steering rack arms should be close to parallel if they are pointing slightly up at the outer ball end then you have a problem, to cure it either rise the suspension till they are parallel or fit the modified ball joints and track rod ends.

Last edited by budd; 11 August 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11 August 2011, 01:43 PM
hughes741
Scooby Regular

imo coilovers are deffinately worth the extra. here is my old wrx on bc coilovers

Old 11 August 2011, 01:49 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Got Tein S Tech springs on mine, had all geometry done immediately and car rides great. No more bouncy than standard but turn in and handling improved greatly. And looks!