D2 racing coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2010, 04:59 PM
Pakolainen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 racing coilovers

Folks, your words of wisdom
i bought some D2 racing coilovers (http://www.abb.com/cawp/db0003db0026...100410217.aspx) for my car, think the racing part of the name is generic as the company i bought them from were instructed that the car is a family car (MY05 Impreza WRX)

after having them lying unde rthe bed for 6 mnths i finally got them fitted today. the garage told me that the coilvers are more for enthusuiasts than every day road cars, and he didn't lower the ride 40mm as requested as it's not their job to do that, i should do it myself

given that he didn't lower the car, the back seems to be sitting pretty low, about 2fingers from wheel to arch, whilst the front looks pretty much the same as before (changed from a standard suspension: knocking)

obviously the new coilover set is about ½ the size in appearance of the old one.....Garage also told me i should let them 'sit in for 2 weeks and then get the alignment done again'

matey in the garage might have been having a bad day but he didn't instill the best of confidence in me with those words....

any snippets of advice.

cheers
Old 31 May 2010, 06:50 PM
Pakolainen
Scooby Regular

nothing?
Old 01 June 2010, 12:52 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

What is it you actually asking though? how to lower it?
Old 01 June 2010, 05:06 PM
Pakolainen
Scooby Regular

yup, just read through my post a few times and it probably doesn't make too much sense.

is it normal for the car to sit lower after having coilovers fitted, even if the ride height hasn't been adjusted?
how easy is it to adjust the ride height? jack up (1 corner or all 4) wheel off and adjust?
is it normal to have the alignment checked again 2 weeks after fitment?

and for some reason the link i posted is completely wrong.
http://www.race.fi/en/product/13961-...rx)+02-06.html

cheers
Old 02 June 2010, 12:48 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I cant see why it wouldent be impossible for it to sit lower, As I've never done it before I cant really tell or help you, it shouldent matter if you raise one wheel or all four as long as you raise them all the same distance is what will be the important thing, I take it you have the C spanner for adjusting them? if so it should just be a case of using the C spanner and moving the adjustable mount either up or down, as for waiting two weeks dont think I've ever heard that one before, what happens if you raise it then decide you want to raise it further do you need to wait another two weeks lol?
Old 02 June 2010, 01:23 PM
Pakolainen
Scooby Regular

that was what i thought.
the mechanic didn't come across with the info i wanted.
even asked me if the coilover kit came with tools, döh, there is a bag of them that you have replaced on the back seat.
and then he asked about fitting instructions.........

Car seems to drive fine, but just the mechanics dopiness makes me wonder if he set the damper correctly etc.

cheers
for the replies.
Old 02 June 2010, 11:56 PM
DisoDisp
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoi Pakolainen, I see you post on here too (as well as on Subaruclubfinland.net/bbs)

I would be interested to know where you had them fitted, as that really doesn't sound like someone who has any kind of knowledge about coilovers. It sounds like something the guys at Rantakare would say

Anywho, the car may be slightly lower after fitting your coilovers, and adjusting the ride height should be easy with the supplied C-spanner. IIRC standard ride heights are 390mm(15.4") and 360mm(14.25") in the rear, i.e. the stock front is supposed to be higher by around 30mm. (as measured from the hub to the wheel arch)

I've never fitted D2's, and I personally don't have coilovers just yet, but a mate has TEIN coilovers, and they are 345mm(13.6") in the front and 330mm(13.0") in the rear. As suggested by TEIN.

Also, you should let the springs settle for a while after adjusting the ride height, but two weeks is on the long side imho, a couple of days should be fine, after which you can re-adjust if they aren't all ok.
Old 03 June 2010, 03:42 AM
Pakolainen
Scooby Regular

Moro, yup you guessed it right Rantakare, which is what surprisesme as the service has always been 2nd to none and the price much better than the Subaru dealerships.
Given what you've written, that's looking to be what mine is, slightly lower at the back.
From where in Helsinki are you?

Kiiti.
Old 03 June 2010, 02:10 PM
DisoDisp
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get on with the Rantakare guys, the service is always ****, and we always get into a row, boycotted them for a year, now my car is there again. Was left there on tuesday morning last week, said it would be ready on friday, it is now thursday the next week, and its still not ready.... starting to lose my patience once again.

Last time they told me that my steering wobble is caused by my exhaust (which I've had for like 3 years, but the wobble started a few months ago) and that the guys at AMW have installed it wrong. Then the mechanic got out his plasma cutter and was about to start cutting out subframe of the car to give the exhaust more clearance in the back, I almost shat a brick...

The time before that the accused me of being a liar, and accused the Subaru Importer (IM Nordic) of being thieves, and that Motul Gear 300 is not acceptable for an Impreza, and that I've lost all my warranty as a result of using Motul oil's over their Castrol oil, ridiculous. Then they also billed me for work which they had not done during the same period, got caught when I took my car to Metro-Auto to finish the oil change that they refused to do.

Metroauto in Viikki has been much better for me, but for some reason they stopped servicing Subaru's a year or so ago, but apparently they have resumed doing so...

Not to mention what a bollocking the old fart gave me for driving a "modified" car, anywho.. I fear I'll have to go boycott them again after I get my car back. And apparently these problems are quite common, I've talked to a lot of people on the Subaruclubfinland website in PM's, and lots have had similar problems, but because they "sponsor" the club, any "official" slandering on forums is prohibited, i've got a thread on there anyway about their poor service.

I would pull out the tape measure, and check the height from hub to wheel arch on the front and the back (350-340/340-330) F/R should be fine.

I'm currently residing in Oulunkylä. Hit me up with a PM on the Subaruclubfinland forums (Username: Displaced) or on here if you ever need any help.

It's a shame really that IMO there are no really good Subaru dealers in Southern Finland.
Old 07 June 2010, 09:07 AM
n20ckb
Scooby Regular

HI

I think with the D2s to you adjust ride height with the bottom mounts