Notices

Suspension Bushes

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2009, 10:17 AM
stigs_scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suspension Bushes

Hi All, Hoping you can help a clueless idiot...

I have a 1998 Impreza Turbo 2000 Wagon and I need some new bushes and shocks...shocks are nice and simple but I have no idea on some of the bushes I need.

Does anyone know what size Front/Rear Anti Roll Bars I would need? 14mm - 24mm? Also does anyone have a clue what Rear Subframe Mounting Bush I'd need? 33MM or 65MM?

While changing a Rear Wheel Bearing a while back I saw that alot of the bushes were trashed so I've decided while I have time to get them all changed at the same time I replace my leaky shocks.

Any help is hughely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Stiggy J
Old 13 September 2009, 01:09 PM
stigs_scooby
Scooby Regular

Anyone able to help me?
Old 13 September 2009, 06:15 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

hiya

are you keeping the standard ARBs? i would very strongly recomend getting some aftermarket Whiteline or the like ones. 22 or 24mm rear, and a 22mm front will make a huge difference to the handeling and you will be supplied with new polly ARB bushes too. I would suggest you change out the droplinks to some more hefty (i.e. not plastic lol) polly bushed items.

sorry, don't know about the subfram bush, depends who you call to order-- they may let you take both with the understanding you will be sending the one that doesn't fit back for a full refund..

good luck!
Ash
Old 14 September 2009, 11:45 AM
stigs_scooby
Scooby Regular

I will be getting aftermarket ARBs, just not sure what is best to get...I've been looking araounf and saw they have different sizes which just added to my confusion on which to get!

Thanks for your help, and if anyone has info on Subframe bushes I would be extremely grateful

Stiggy J
Old 15 September 2009, 12:04 AM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

for what its worth i have 22mm ARBs front and rear, both set to hardest setting and heavy duty droplinks. oh and polly steering rack bushes. all by whiteline, its a good "stage 1". i would maybe got to a 24mm rear now i am more familiar with the car but to be honest it will oversteer enough if i trail break or even lift off if pushing quite hard in in the dry. and deffinately in the wet! If you are smooth and know the roads well that you like to have a blast on then by all means try a 24mm. if you are a bit rough and ready behind the wheel or drive alot of roads you arn't too familiar with fast, then a more forgiving 22mm might be better. Either setup will blow the standard handeling out the water, i promise you that!
Good luck again mate!
Ash
Old 15 September 2009, 11:35 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Whiteline items are good, competitively priced but do rust. I have a 22mm blade adjustable rear Whiteline bar and it improved the handling no end - best handling mod for least money! I run mine on medium after reading comments that it can make life a bit hairy in the winter months if you run it on hard (haven't played with that setting yet haha).

If you can stretch to it, go for the Perrin items as they're powder coated and less likely to rust - but if you're not worried about looks then the former is a fair whack cheaper.
Old 17 September 2009, 10:15 AM
stigs_scooby
Scooby Regular

Looks aren't important...at the moment most of the bushes are just crumbling away so while she's not on the road i thought i'd change them all and figured may aswell tweak it instead of go for standard.

I guess i'll start looking at Whiteline bushes and maybe some stainless droplinks...still if anyone has info on Subframe mounts thats all i really have left to look for