Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2009, 11:49 PM
CatalunyaSimon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers

Hi all,
I am thinking about a new set of coilovers and have read good things about BC and Tein. I want the setup for road and track use. Are Tein regarded as the best option if you’re willing to spend more money.
Old 20 May 2009, 12:30 AM
Scoob Fae Ork
Scooby Regular

I have the Teins mate and i DO NOT recomend them at all the car does no handle that good with them IMO i also had one burst with me which nearly caused me to crash and their after sales service is very poor at best. The strut that burst was still under warrenty and i was told to post it down to them to repair and was promised it would ony be a week OH so not true 7 and a half weeks later after lots of phone calls it returned home repaired 3 weeks later the same rear strutt burst on my brothers Scoob but as it was out of warrenty they would not even look at it and the only option they gave him was to send a new strutt direct from Japan at a cost of £300 for the strutt and £150 for the shipment. So my advice is go for the BC coilovers i'v heard nothing but good reports about them and im even going to change to them my self.

Donald
Old 20 May 2009, 09:16 AM
Steve1956
Scooby Regular

I have just fitted BC coilovers on my 05 WRX and it has totally transformed the handling. Can't recommend them enough and they are at the right price!
Old 20 May 2009, 11:56 AM
New_scooby_04

I have the Tein Superstreets on mine and find them to be very good. EDFC is the only way if you want an easy no fuss damper adjustment set up. You just press a button in the car!

If it's a classic and you spend most time on the road, I'd go no higher than the 4/3 Kgs/mm spring rates, 5/4 for the new age. Even those are noticeably stiffer than std. The car goes around corners like it's on rails, I found the difference between them and the stock suspension to be night and day.

One of the reasons Xtreme Scoobies swear by them is that Tein have a service dept in the UK and are usually very good with customer service so am alarmed to hear about the above.
Old 20 May 2009, 01:07 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exe-tc ftw cant go wrong
Old 20 May 2009, 10:22 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Tein on mine, too harsh, been in a pal's STI and his BC's are much nicer.

HOWEVER, on track I imagine they will be awesome.

dunx
Old 21 May 2009, 04:34 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the above Tein's are way too hard for the majority of UK roads. I went for BCs and am very impressed with them. Very easy to adjust if you get the extended adjuster for the rear. Way way better than OEM STi struts and springs
Old 22 May 2009, 07:54 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

My BC's have been great from day one. (03sti)

dipster
Old 27 May 2009, 06:43 PM
New_scooby_04

This thread just shows you how important it is to try these things out for yourself LOL.

Suspension is a black art though and when you have a non adjustable set up, you just accept the configuration as it is; the compromise never dawns on you. However, when you have an adjustable set up you quickly realise just how difficult it must be for manufacturers to get a car that works really well over all surfaces and you end up forever fiddling with it to optimise it for each type of road surface that you find, which is overkill! Eventually you'll settle on something that works well all of the time and reserve a few settings that excel in certain environments at the expense of others e.g. track work.

With coilovers you have to accept that you may have to fiddle with them a bit to get them just so! My Teins sit about 2 inches higher at the back than Tein's suggested settings and I have the rear dampers running about half of the fronts. This is just lovely for road use.

In my experience Impreza's like being slightly higher at the rear than the front and significantly softer at the rear.

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 27 May 2009 at 06:52 PM.