Notices

STi 06 Knocking struts again

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2009, 09:39 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi 06 Knocking struts again

Had the scooby 3 years now and at about 18months old the front struts were changed under warranty 15k. Then at 20k on my 3 year service all 4 were changed again under warranty at a cost of £1250 to subaru and the rears have started to knock again worse than ever but 5 months out of warranty with only 24k miles and apparently all good will from subaru no longer available.Now I am not being tight but who their right mind would spend that sort of money to get 4k miles before they are knackered again.It seems that its not MOT issue or even a handling issue its just annoying..anyone else in the same position and is there an alternative strut available?
Old 26 March 2009, 11:15 PM
Rob-S
Scooby Regular

This was one of the reasons that I went down the coilover route as the shocks seem to fail at any age/mileage
Old 26 March 2009, 11:25 PM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

Ive had the same issue, its a total and utter joke from Subaru. It seems they know about this problem but wont do anything to fix it. my cars done 30k miles, 06 STI, and ive had 3 pairs of rear struts on and a top mount on both sides at the front.

IMO if you must replace them, get a set of coilovers like AST's or something, if I end up keeping my car thats what i will be doing.

Other option is maybe kick up a real stink with Subaru UK. End of day your car may be out of warranty but are the struts? To me if they were replaced less thank a year ago then they should carry there own warranty? If you blew your engine up and Subaru replaced it at your cost, if it blew again 3 months later would it not be covered? Total Joke.
Old 27 March 2009, 09:25 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

The exact reason why I fitted BC coilovers on my 03sti. You may think that the rears are just knocking and performing ok, but they are probably also binding up and performing badly, My second set where shagged after only 20k miles!
Fitting coilovers really did show up how badly the std struts where binding up and the ride now on coilovers is actually better!

Buying new subaru stuts is a bad idea imho

dipster
Old 27 March 2009, 04:57 PM
not12listen
Scooby Newbie

i have a similar issue, but with different details.

i had the original suspension on my 99RS - no knocking at all. later on, i get a great deal on some Bilstein PSS9 coilovers and buy some Group N strut mounts to finish off the upgrade.

since the installation, i've had knocking at all 4 corners just about any time i hit a road imperfection. i've tried re-tightening the nut that holds the strut body to the strut mount - no change.

i then got the brilliant idea of adding soft copper washers, thinking that they'd eat up any slack or excess motion. this worked only short term and the lovely knocking sounds came back.

at this point, i am just living with the horrid knocking, though i do have a plan.

i have a couple tubes of soft polyurethane and an applicator tube gun.

i'll put a custom fit steel washer on the bottom side of the strut top, then slowly pour some polyurethane into the bottom of the strut mount, then press the coilover top spring perch into the soft polyurethane... and let it cure.

the basic idea is to use REALLY soft polyurethane to create a buffer so that no metal makes contact from the coilover to the strut top. the total buffer space i'm looking for is roughly 2mm or 3mm in between the strut mount and the spring perch at their center most point (the space surrounding the strut body itself).

of course, the distance in between the strut mount and the spring perch will be greater as you go further out from the center. but, thats also why this is a one-off and why the polyurethane will be poured in while soft. also, the center (the thinnest point) will not be the only point of contact that will be load bearing - all of the polyurethane will share the load across the entire body of the spring perch and strut mount.

once i get this into real world practice, i'll post the results.
Old 27 March 2009, 05:03 PM
Scoob Fae Ork
Scooby Regular

If your struts them selfs are less than a year old then they should be covered under warranty regardless of the car being out of it .
Old 27 March 2009, 08:58 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

I suggested this to the dealer and he confirms that the three year warranty is just that..a 3 year warranty..and any goodwill thereafter will be at subaru UK discretion and from his recent experience it is not forth coming at the moment.Maybe Subaru are tightening their belts.
What is the average cost of coilovers and can i just fit the rears or is all 4?.
Old 27 March 2009, 09:05 PM
Rob-S
Scooby Regular

BC racing BR series are £649 inc VAT, had these on for the last 2 weeks and I am well impressed with the ride quality and performance
You would have to get all 4.
Old 27 March 2009, 09:24 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

£1300....
Old 27 March 2009, 09:44 PM
Rob-S
Scooby Regular

For what
Old 27 March 2009, 10:21 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

i was told the replacement shocks on mine were under warranty for three years from the date of fitting
go back and ask again if you can be bothered
or get a set of coilovers and enjoy the driving experience even more
Old 27 March 2009, 11:51 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

sorry to crash your post but with the bc coilovers do you need to change uppermounts or oe ones ok or do u get uppermounts with them.iam thinking of replacing mine with the bc coilovers.
Old 28 March 2009, 12:24 AM
55WRX
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Rob-S
This was one of the reasons that I went down the coilover route as the shocks seem to fail at any age/mileage
I had my rears changed at 18k and again at 26k under warranty. I think they're on the way out again now, approaching 33k.

I don't think the standard kit is up to the job as it's not as if I'm hammering the car around bends everywhere I go, or carrying lots of weight in the car.
Old 28 March 2009, 01:01 AM
Scoob Fae Ork
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
I suggested this to the dealer and he confirms that the three year warranty is just that..a 3 year warranty..and any goodwill thereafter will be at subaru UK discretion and from his recent experience it is not forth coming at the moment.Maybe Subaru are tightening their belts.
What is the average cost of coilovers and can i just fit the rears or is all 4?.
If i were you i would be having a chat with trading standards on that one the law is the law and Subaru are not allowed to brake it.
Old 28 March 2009, 03:04 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

If you want to hold onto your STi struts, applying a liberal lube will do the trick. The rear strut knocking is a common problem and most folk get lots of quiet miles from lubing the rear struts.

Here are a couple of threads on NASIOC to help you out:

Regreasing STi struts - NASIOC

I think have the dreaded STI clunk - NASIOC

In a pinch, you can just jack up the rear end, pull up the dustboots and spray the stanchions with a teflon based lube. Lower car, raise again, spray again and you are done. depending on your conditions this quickie solution can leave your car knock free for months.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 28 March 2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old 28 March 2009, 01:02 PM
Rob-S
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl heath
sorry to crash your post but with the bc coilovers do you need to change uppermounts or oe ones ok or do u get uppermounts with them.iam thinking of replacing mine with the bc coilovers.
Top mounts are supplied with the BC coilovers.
Old 28 March 2009, 05:34 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob-S
For what
sorry rob i thought the price you quoted was for the pair and you suggested 4 would be required
Old 28 March 2009, 07:53 PM
Rob-S
Scooby Regular

I see
The price is for everthing that you need for all four corners.
You will have to decide what spring ratings you want, I am finding that 5's on the front and 4's on the rear give you the best of both worlds for normal driving and the odd trackday, if you like things a little harder or do more trackdays then go for 6 on the fronts and 5's on the rear.
Old 01 May 2009, 05:55 PM
not12listen
Scooby Newbie

i disassembled my stock suspension just recently and noticed something that was on it, that was not on my bilstein coilovers.

no top of the top most spring perch and just under the strut hat, there is a washer. it is approx 3mm or 4mm thick. the top of the washer is tapered, to fit very close and tight underneath the strut hat.

when you put it all together, some of the threads for the strut body are under the topmost portion of the strut hat. this makes it so that when you bolt it together finally, there will be no travel (upwards or downwards). side to side is debatable.

since i've put the stock suspension back on, i get no more knocking at all. i believe that the washer is the cause of this. i will reassemble my bilstein coilovers soon (after they're rebuilt), and test this theory.
Old 05 May 2009, 09:32 PM
Cosworth27
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem, my rear struts are knocking again and am just out of warranty. So today have phoned up local Subaru dealer and asked wether they would replace under warranty as there clearly is a problem with them Newage STI wide. I said why are Subaru supply ing replacement shocks that fail again after 14k miles.

Well the guys reply was. The struts are like that because of the the way the car handles and grips, they are so tight. some last longer it depends how hard you drive it. Implying it is my fault for driving it a little aggressively. Needless to say I was laughing!.

I thought I might aswell get a price so I asked what the price for the rear 2 strut replacement would be fitted. He came back and said 470. I said both fitted for 470. He said no 470 each. I laughed again couldnt be bothered to ask if it included VAt and said good bye.

Subaru really do know how to look after there customers and GMD Durham service department need to come up with a better excuse as to why the struts fail so easy.

Last edited by Cosworth27; 05 May 2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05 May 2009, 10:32 PM
evil_scoobs
Scooby Regular

Has anyone got the same issue with Tein Coilovers? I seem to have it and they are only two years old
Old 06 May 2009, 07:44 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by not12listen
i disassembled my stock suspension just recently and noticed something that was on it, that was not on my bilstein coilovers.

no top of the top most spring perch and just under the strut hat, there is a washer. it is approx 3mm or 4mm thick. the top of the washer is tapered, to fit very close and tight underneath the strut hat.

when you put it all together, some of the threads for the strut body are under the topmost portion of the strut hat. this makes it so that when you bolt it together finally, there will be no travel (upwards or downwards). side to side is debatable.

since i've put the stock suspension back on, i get no more knocking at all. i believe that the washer is the cause of this. i will reassemble my bilstein coilovers soon (after they're rebuilt), and test this theory.
That washer is on the front (or should be - and we are talking rear mostly) if you don't have it fitted the spring perch fouls the underside tophat and graunches as you turn the wheel.

Simon
Old 06 May 2009, 12:33 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
That washer is on the front (or should be - and we are talking rear mostly) if you don't have it fitted the spring perch fouls the underside tophat and graunches as you turn the wheel.

Simon
would this cause a rattle/knocking noticeable through the steering column and or at the front edge of the dash area buddy ???????

marcus
Old 06 May 2009, 12:57 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

I think(?) that the OEM struts are made by KYB.
I also think that they sell replacements for them in the UK through their UK agent: -
ADDRESS
KYB UK,
Unit 1 Taurus Park
Europa Boulevard
Warrington
Cheshire
WA5 7ZT
TELEPHONE +44 01925 417444
FAX +44 01925 417414
EMAIL
enquiries@kyb-europe.com

I also think that they are A LOT cheaper than the original ones.

Someone else might be able to confirm this?