Prodrive Springs for MY01 (again)

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2002, 07:27 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

As search isnt working.............

Has anyone out there (apart from Alex/Dr Evil - who has already been V Helpful ) got the Prodrive blue spring kit (SACC2544) fitted to their MY01/MY02, and if so what are your opinions of it (especially compared to the std setup).

I have heard/read mixed reviews in the past so would like to hear the latest as Im now stuck with a set and need to decide whether to put them on or not.

Cheers

Old 22 February 2002, 09:00 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

mark,

i had mine done yesterday, car feels hardly any firmer on the road (good), sits lower- i was surprised how much difference 20mm ish makes- even my wife noticed!, as for handling i drove back from power station in rush hour traffic so hard to say, i'll post an opinion on that tonite after a blast!

Tiggs
Old 22 February 2002, 05:28 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

I have had them since they came out. VERY pleased, about 25mm lower but more noticably handling, when coupled with accurate geometry, is transformed. A must! IMO
Old 22 February 2002, 05:30 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Just re-read the post - you already have them!!!! Get them on NOW you won't regret it. No negative affects on ride quality , if that's what you are worried about.
Old 22 February 2002, 06:02 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mark

If you dont want to put them on the car how much do you want for them

Nathan..
Old 23 February 2002, 02:16 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Smile

Tiggs, would like to hear how you get on, DT sounds happy which is good news.
Nathan, Im undecided as yet but will let you know if I decide to sell them. At the moment Im booked to have them fitted on March 5th.
Cheers
Mark
Old 26 February 2002, 12:12 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mark - ello again..

... just for the record, this is my take on them.

They appear to be well behaved on smooth roads - although the rear end can feel "odd" on cornering. But when you get on to the A/B-roads (more bumpy surfaces) the rear springs appear to be out of sync with the dampers and the rear of the car feels fairly unsettled.

They're as stiff as the eibachs for pre '01, but the prodrive rear springs are a good 2"s or so shorter than the eibachs - i not sure of the difference in rate.

Rgds, Alex

Trending Topics

Old 27 February 2002, 08:34 AM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've had them fitted for the last two months, no problems only praise. Although for some reason powerstation found them more difficult to fit. Interesting point above about the rear suspension beeing out of sync with the dampers. Any more light on this?
Old 28 February 2002, 07:32 PM
Blu-Scooby
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Had Prodrive springs fitted yesterday. Looks a lot lower than the 20-25mm quoted!!!. Sadly not had a lot of quality time on them yet but did do a very twisty fav road and was well chuffed. For the looks alone worth getting.
Old 28 February 2002, 10:15 PM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Had mine fitted today and they do make the ride slightly harder though it does not make the car uncomfortable on badly surfaced roads.

Turn in is the most notable thing so far, it is far better than the standard springs, even in the wet with Pilot Sports on the front it has cut some of the understeer and it is notably flatter during cornering.

The steering is also slightly heavier, which I was hoping for, removing some of the over-assisted feeling that it had before.

Haven't had a chance to check the drop yet but certainly hoping loose 20mm from the height.

Happy so far.

Old 01 March 2002, 06:44 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Alex, thanks for all your advice and everyone else as well!

My contact had already got them for me as a favour so I wasnt able to change my mind anyway. As I now have them (and have paid!) Im going to have them fitted and see how I get on. Im going to get the Geom done at TSL as well so hopefully the car will feel much better afterwards.

There seems to be a lot of positive feedback here as well so Im not too concerned. Most of my regular driving is on good roads anyway, I only venture onto poor B roads occasionally so hopefully I wont have too much of a problem.

The reduction in ride height is also a good by product as I do think they definately look better.

Mark (looking forward to next Tuesday)
Old 03 March 2002, 07:52 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Interesting post Alex. I took my car on the airfield track day last week - which wasn't the smoothest of surfaces. I have to say the car felt very well planted. I didn't experience the feeling you described with the back of the car. Andrew, the instructor was pretty impressed. He ended up drifting the car out of a 90 degree angle bend at over 90mph, saying that he felt the setup would let him go quicker

For the record, my MY01 is fitted with the 'normal' Eibachs (installation and alignment by Powerstation) as opposed to the Prodrive kit.

Chris
Old 03 March 2002, 08:11 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Cool

Just to add my 2 euro's

I too like Chris had Original Eibachs fitted to my MY01

Ride comfort whilst a little harder has not been compromised

but the handling is a vast improvement

Like Chris I spent the day with Andrew Walsh at North Weald and could not believe that "THAT"corner could be taken at just below 100mph

WOW

Needed a new set of tyres though

Phil
Old 04 March 2002, 01:19 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Damn right Phil - just checked the PZeros at the front - knackered is the word (and the red Pzero writing has come off the side walls, so we must have been pushing it )

Decision is now SO3 or Toyo or F1...

Chris
Old 04 March 2002, 04:32 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chris L,

The eibach's certainly felt better when I drove an '02 with them fitted, less unsettled at the rear on the bumpy b-roads surrounding TSL...

I'm exploring a couple of different avenues at the moment, as I intend changing my springs soon if not the whole set damper/spring set up.

Rgds, Alex
Old 04 March 2002, 08:51 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Thumbs up

Chris

I went for the Toyo's and have not been disapointed @£100 each cost not too bad either

PHIL