whiteline front & rear alloy drop links whiteline anti roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2008, 07:11 PM
Bockett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whiteline front & rear alloy drop links whiteline anti roll bar

Hi Guys

could someone tell me the main benefits from fitting the above to a 2002 Bug Sti.

I'm new to this suspension territory and would appreciate some advice from those in the know.

WOuld you consider it being a beneficial modification to make?
Old 01 November 2008, 08:35 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Oh Lordy I'm off again.

Adjustable rear anti-roll bar and drop-links will transform your car, I preach this as the best value mod I made to my own 2002 STI. Honest !

Would only change the front drop-links if you fit a Whiteline front arb as well.

HTH

DunxC

P.S. ALK ( Anti-lift kit ) is also a help on the front end, quite expensive, so not as good value. IMHO.
Old 07 November 2008, 06:21 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bockett
Hi Guys

could someone tell me the main benefits from fitting the above to a 2002 Bug Sti.

I'm new to this suspension territory and would appreciate some advice from those in the know.

fit 22mm front arb 24mm rear arb fit new alloy drop links to cope with the extra roll stiffness
cant say that i agree with dunks opinion about whiteline anti lift kit ,its not expensive for the benifits it gives,
the alk is one of the best mod you can do to the scooby whether classic or newage .gives you 0.5 deg extra stac caster which virtully cancelles out the dreaded understeer and in my book thats worth the money ,thats whyi have them fitted to all our cars track/road soon to be fitted on my 08 hatch ///6 cars in all geo
Old 07 November 2008, 09:52 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I did ALK and front bar together, so couldn't tell which helped more !

BUT value for money, rear bar wins by £150 !

DunxC
Old 08 November 2008, 11:47 AM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

Im tempted with an ALK and set of ARBs but im worried it till be too stiff for my **** roads
Old 08 November 2008, 05:29 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bockett
Hi Guys

after having just my tein coilovers and geometry setup on my car for a couple of years now i thought that i would go a bit further and do the arb,s and the drop links seeing as everybodys has been going on about how good they are.so i ordered front and rear 22mm adj and front an rear ally drop links,just finished putting them on and i have to say i can tell no difference what so ever.i fitted the rears first and set the arb in the middle hole then took her for a spin,hmm is it me or does that just feel the same.so i went home and put the rear on the stiffest setting and fitted the front arb and drop links.took her out for a good old blast around the country lanes and thought to myself ive just spent near on 400 quid and my car feels exactly the same.whether its too early to tell and i need more time in the car i dont know but as of now i wish i had kept my money in my pocket.
Old 08 November 2008, 06:09 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

Thats very interesting!
Old 08 November 2008, 06:32 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Only because of the coil-overs being stiff already !

I love mine on std STI suspension with Whiteline ARB's + ALK !

HTH

DunxC
Old 08 November 2008, 09:08 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Only because of the coil-overs being stiff already !

I love mine on std STI suspension with Whiteline ARB's + ALK !

HTH

DunxC
yes your probably right if your doing the arb,s and drop links from standered suspension you will probably see a big difference,but as i had the teins and the geometry setup to start with i havent really seen much of a difference.imo if your only doing fast road use then i would say either one or the other will do equally as good,but if your thinking of doing some track work then go for the whole lot.
Old 08 November 2008, 10:06 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mystic_magic
Im tempted with an ALK and set of ARBs but im worried it till be too stiff for my **** roads
fitting alk and anti roll bars wont make the car too stiff ,it wil increase roll stiffness on bends and give a better steering feed back
the alk will cancell out understeer and give anti lift qualities,the car will be transformed with just these mods. on my 07 plate sti hawkeye i used a 27mm rear 24mm front arbs it was great. all the other cars in the family use 22mm f and 24mm rear which suits the roads up here in scotland geo
Old 08 November 2008, 10:14 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

I think you under estimate how **** isle of wight roads are lol.

I'm tempted with the ALK... but not the arbs. the tein super sport coil overs go on in a few days.
Old 08 November 2008, 10:24 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mystic_magic
I think you under estimate how **** isle of wight roads are lol.

I'm tempted with the ALK... but not the arbs. the tein super sport coil overs go on in a few days.
trust me m8 i set up scoobies all the time ,i have 6 in the family.4 classics 1 hawkeye 1 08 hatch
fit the anti roll bars first and ally d/links 90%+ of guys on this site will tell you the difference is fantastic geo
Old 08 November 2008, 10:50 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

But as arf said coil-overs reduce the roll anyway, agree an ALK SHOULD work regardless, but for some there's not an endless pot of cash available...

imho

DunxC
Old 09 November 2008, 12:16 AM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
But as arf said coil-overs reduce the roll anyway, agree an ALK SHOULD work regardless, but for some there's not an endless pot of cash available...

imho

DunxC
dunk ,not all guys have coil overs fitted .you dont need coil overs to get a good handling impreza .i have been in some of the worst handling imps that had c/overs fitted . on imps you start with improving roll stiffness then improving caster correction ie alk,yes changing the rear arb will help this but not totaly//increase caster cure undeersteer then fanny about with damping rates -spring rates. a good damper -normal strut good spring and a adjustable top mount ie whiteline will give you a good handling car without the expence of coilovers. most of the coil overs i have had the experence of driving hve been fitted with the wrong rate springs + bump and rebound are set to hard for motorways let alone A and B class roads.some of the cars are down right dangerous to drive geo
Old 09 November 2008, 04:46 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Yeah ! I'd love Tein Monoflex with edfc, as I love my toys, but know they are way too hard for our roads, and I don't want to re-build brand new coil-overs to get what I need.

imf1 has fitted Apex /BC coilovers recently and he's very happy with them, especially at around £500 a set !

DunxC
Old 14 November 2008, 09:08 AM
imf1
Scooby Regular

Right on Duncan
Old 14 November 2008, 11:12 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Instead of a ALK why not fit Top mounts? you can sort the castor/camber out much better,
We should be advising people to fit these not ALK`s as there is very little cost difference, and most fit camber bolts after anyway so add that to the cost of the ALK and your about the same,
just my 2p worth but seems daft to keep buying something thats 120 ish quid and does very very little.
Old 14 November 2008, 02:03 PM
lookout
Scooby Regular

Whether you like the ALK or not, on a lot of Imprezas, the front wishbone rear bush (the bit that the ALK replaces) is of the hydraulic type. Most of these bushes are now worn. Although they look perfect from the outside, under load they just give way, resulting in huge caster loss and loss of front end grip

So if you don't like the ALK, why not replace the bush itself with a low compliance, off-set item, like Whiteline have in their catalogue. That will reduce the caster loss and increase static caster.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/ins...253_KCA375.pdf

Last edited by lookout; 14 November 2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 14 November 2008, 05:51 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

ALK makes no difference to the NVH of the car, whereas I would imagine that "decent" top mounts would be spherical bearings and so much noisier and harsher too !

imho

DunxC
Old 14 November 2008, 06:01 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Are the drop links on the 02sti not the same as the spherical ones on my 04spec c? If so I would have thought they would be more than up to the job
Happy to be corrected by anyone who has evidence to the contrary
Old 15 November 2008, 10:33 AM
imf1
Scooby Regular

Solid mate, and these can be fitted to an 04 too, done it