Notices

knocking

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2008, 06:17 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking

My dad has a 03 WRX thats 5 years old and done 74,000 miles, right and all of a sudden myself and my dad heard a knocking noise coming from the n/s front (suspension area) when driving below 30mph or parking/maneuvering.
When the car was parked up, we pushed on each corner in turn and the n/s front suspension you could hear knocking when we pushed on the wing.

I read on here many times that the struts on newage imprezas after a while they start to knock and the only solution is to replace them.

Before my dad replaces them, he comes with me to a local meet where another guy on here Andy had to replace his struts (on his 02 STi Prodrive) because of the same knocking noise just to confirm with him that its the same noise etc... So my dad orders some new KYB wrx struts and gets them fitted and geo done.

He still has the same, but slightly quieter knocking noise. What else could be wrong.

Andy, told us that after having his struts replaced they where fine for a short while then they started knocking again, so he cleaned and re-lubricated the bushes (I think) and all was fine for a few days and how still has the same knocking back again. So what is this knocking we are both getting. And no its not a midget trying to get out

My dad would really appreciate some info about this or what might be causing this knocking and what to fit it.

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 09 September 2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09 September 2008, 07:42 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

drop links? top mounts?
Old 10 September 2008, 11:33 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Mine is exactly the same and Rick at RE Motorsport spent around an hour driving round and round in circles trying to identify the problem.

He prodded, pushed, poked, and pried every bit of the front suspension and came to the conclusion that it was the strut itself.

The rears are a known weak point/problem area, but the fronts less so. I was looking at standard replacements, and/or KYB replacements, but after reading many reports about them basically being crap, I've decided coil-overs are the way to go.

It may be the top mounts that are still knocking on your Dad's car.........I guess they weren't replaced?
Old 10 September 2008, 12:29 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Not to my knowledge, the top mounts where not replaced.
Old 25 October 2008, 05:53 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Just to up date you all on this. My dad took the WRX to see Steve at Northants Subaru. They when out for a test drive on one of the country lanes hear his works and had said that it could be the front n/s anti-roll bar bush. So they get back to this works and Steve has a look under the car and the front n/s arb bush moving more that it should with just his hand. So it is booked back in again on Wednesday for the bush to be fitted and hopefully no more knocking.

I will update you on this when it is done.
Old 30 October 2008, 10:40 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Its fixed. No more knocking
Old 02 November 2008, 06:52 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Sorted mine today too... been knocking for weeks. Replaced the front struts, top mounts, ball joints. Then Found it was a drop link!