Notices

lowering kit options for uk 2005 sti

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2008, 06:47 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering kit options for uk 2005 sti

looking like i've got replace a knocking strut and probably have to foot the full bill (out of warrenty ) and it looks like KYB don't have an option for the inverted strut of the 05 onwards, so the main dealer could well have me by the goolies

i haven't got a price yet or know if there might be a goodwill payment for a known fault/problem so it's early doors, but i believe each strut will end up about £240? so knocking on £500 before i've even started

so... (eventually) what damper/spring kit options are out there? coilovers are out for a start as the REO70's on std suspension is harsh enough for me!
i don't want to spend shed loads and don't do track days, i basically want a std type set up that won't start knocking any time in the near future, but i can't see anything available other than coilovers?

any ideas guys?
Old 25 June 2008, 07:41 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Get the rears re-bushed?
Old 25 June 2008, 04:19 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
Get the rears re-bushed?
is that the scoobyclinic refurb? unless i've read it wrong, it's not that cheap and not a whole lot more resiliant to future problems.

might have to do a bit more research on it though, cheers
Old 26 June 2008, 08:36 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

A good fix is to remove the strut, take it apart and repack with new grease.
I jack up the car every 3 months and put some 3 in 1 on the piston, then lower. Hey presto no knocking for another 3 months.
The problem seems to be the upper bush getting dry and sticking to the piston, so just jacking the rear of the car seems to move the grease around and re-lube the top bush.
Also the grease packing in the strut by the factory is a bit sparse, so packing with new grease is a good idea and saves you lots of money.

Last edited by davedipster; 26 June 2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 27 June 2008, 06:27 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
A good fix is to remove the strut, take it apart and repack with new grease.
I jack up the car every 3 months and put some 3 in 1 on the piston, then lower. Hey presto no knocking for another 3 months.
The problem seems to be the upper bush getting dry and sticking to the piston, so just jacking the rear of the car seems to move the grease around and re-lube the top bush.
Also the grease packing in the strut by the factory is a bit sparse, so packing with new grease is a good idea and saves you lots of money.
many thanks for the tips dave i'm going ahead with fitting lowering springs monday so i'll ask them to grease it up and i'll hopefully be able to keep it under control myself with the piston oiling