Notices

S202 suspension tweaks - initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2007, 10:42 PM
sll202
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S202 suspension tweaks - initial impressions

I have an S202 and have recently fitted 22mm adjustable ARBs to front and rear (middle hole at rear) and the anti-lift kit, plus a geometry set up.

Front camber approx 1deg10'
Rear camber approx 1deg30'
Slight toe in at front and rear
Castor approx 4deg50'

The thing is it seems that the steering is now less direct and a little lighter especially at lower speeds (not had a chance to test out on track yet). Everyone I spoke to before getting the work done, felt the ARBs and anti-lift would be beneficial but I am not so sure.

- Should I have gone for the 24mm ARB at the rear?
- Was it worth doing the anti-lift? I dont know for sure but I believe the S202 had additional castor as standard
- Anyone know what the standard geometry settings are for the S202? (had some problems in getting the geometry done so not fully sure what the starting point was)

Any advice / comments greatly appreciated, as the set up is not yet right (I still have the oem ARBs).

Cheers
Simon
Old 02 December 2007, 06:23 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

ALK on mine made badly cambered roundabout incidents a distant memory instead of a life threatening encounter....

Maybe yours had a "special" set-up before hand, with hindsight you could have measured it before, and got as close as possible after fitting bits....

Dunx

P.S. Currently needing a full geometry set-up.... also got rear bar on stiffest setting....
Old 02 December 2007, 07:26 PM
sll202
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dunx,
I kind of expected a 'before' reading to have been taken of the castor but it was not put on the geometry rig until after the ALK was fitted. As you say - hindsight!

Any other comments?
Old 04 December 2007, 08:20 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sll202
it seems that the steering is now less direct and a little lighter especially at lower speeds (not had a chance to test out on track yet). Everyone I spoke to before getting the work done, felt the ARBs and anti-lift would be beneficial but I am not so sure
Maybe you should have spoken to more people with experience of your model

The feeling you are experiencing from the steering is a trait of the larger bar and it's for this reason I suggest leaving the ARB's as they are, it may or may not benefit you on track but I feel will hinder you on the road and surely this is where your car should excel - unless it's a track, rather than a road car.
Old 04 December 2007, 09:31 PM
sll202
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mocom Racing
Maybe you should have spoken to more people with experience of your model

The feeling you are experiencing from the steering is a trait of the larger bar and it's for this reason I suggest leaving the ARB's as they are, it may or may not benefit you on track but I feel will hinder you on the road and surely this is where your car should excel - unless it's a track, rather than a road car.
I thought I had and in the end went to Powerstation.
I still have the original ARB's so can change the front back relatively easily if need be. I was more concerned about the ALK changing things, and geometry settings.

The car is a second car but, as you say is still used mainly on the road (few tracks days each year...but hope to do more!)

I will see what its like on track in the new year and then take a view.

Thanks for your comments
Simon