17" wheels on Sti 4?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 11:26 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Mornin' all..

Got the standard 16s on my Sti4 Type R at the mo, but prefer the look of 17s obviously.

I am concerned however that I will trash the (already jiggly) ride if I change to them.

All of you who have switched from 16s to 17s - what do you think?

Thanks

Old 08 January 2002, 08:53 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I recently fittd a set of 17" Stilautos to my STi4 for purely aesthetic reasons.
It is fitted with Eibachs and I considered the ride to be firm but compliant.
Now bearing in mind that I was expecting no "performance" changes at all, I was pleasantly suprised to find that turn in and understeer were considerably improved (and on lesser tyres; I had gone from SO2s to Falkens) and that the ride quality improved. There is a little less crashing through potholes and the like and jiggly surfaces are smoother than before. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking Bently smooth, just better than before.
I know that doesn't seem to make sense as I've obviously gone to a lower profile tyre but it's how it is.
My theory is that the 17" wheels are a little heaver than the standard 16s and in carrying a little more unsprung weight over bumps and ripples, you get less wheel deflection.
This theory is not based on any actual accepted suspension theory, just me looking for an explanation.

Where are you based? You are welcome to come for a ride in mine if you want (Essex).

Neil.
Old 08 January 2002, 10:47 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

THanks Neil

I come to Essex occasionally so may well take you up on that some time.

Cheers

Mike
Old 08 January 2002, 11:02 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Mine is essentially an sti 4 and I have just fitted 18s with 35 profile tyres. Have to say there is no noticable difference in ride quality. It was bad before and it is still bad. But then thats the standard bilstein dampers for you, crap except on track.