Notices

Kickback through the steering wheel with 8 degrees of CASTER?

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2007, 04:11 AM
SekretSkwirl02
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kickback through the steering wheel with 8 degrees of CASTER?

Hey mates...Danielle here from across the pond Recently sold my 02 WRX and purchased an 04 USDM STi. Mint condition, 13k on the clock and bone stock. First upgrade was a set of KONI inserts on the stock springs. Great set-up by the way. The second upgrade was a REVLAB 12.5 Quick Rack. AWESOME. 3RD upgrade was a GT Spec ALK. Finally a custom alignment where I achieved 8.3 degrees of CASTER Unreal number as I was expecting around 6 and change. Problem: over any bump I get a kickback thru' the steering wheel. Note:it only happens on the left side. The right side is 'tight'. Also it happens going straight and on turns..does'nt matter. Anyone of you Gurus have this issue with Hero Caster? thanks Danielle in California.
p.s. I missed you chaps

Last edited by SekretSkwirl02; 03 May 2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09 May 2007, 05:13 AM
SekretSkwirl02
Scooby Regular

bump for anyone home...
Old 09 May 2007, 09:26 AM
jgevers
Scooby Regular

I would expect that either the steering rack has been fitted at an angle or one of the steering arms is bent or one of the hub carriers is bent. What you are describing sounds like too much bump steer.

Cheers
Old 09 May 2007, 04:19 PM
SekretSkwirl02
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jgevers
I would expect that either the steering rack has been fitted at an angle or one of the steering arms is bent or one of the hub carriers is bent. What you are describing sounds like too much bump steer.

Cheers
yep could have been the install. Teh new 'rack will becoming off the car soon and I will be sure to check these things. I spent all day monday removing the ALK and the '2 free caster mods' + another alignment to bring the car back to OE. Same problem. whew. One thing I can say is the tie rods and their extensions are fairly new at 17K. I hope it's not them. I doubt it is them as the problem was not there imediately before the install. Today I'll loosen the rack and re mount it. I must say the car is a blast to drive with 8+ degrees of Caster This is the first GT Spec ALK I've had and it has a lot to do with the inflated #'s...that and the "Free Caster Mods" on the 04 STi. I certainly appreciate the response J'.
Old 10 May 2007, 06:44 AM
SekretSkwirl02
Scooby Regular

So today we got the car up on the lift for a closer look. We checked the mounts and tie rods once again and all appears in order. We talked with TIbor at Quick Rack in CANADA and he is sending us a new 12.5 'rack ASAP in response to our dilemma.
Old 10 May 2007, 07:03 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't get much luck on your Impreza's do you!
Graham.
Old 10 May 2007, 07:42 AM
SekretSkwirl02
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
You don't get much luck on your Impreza's do you!
Graham.
funny I was just saying that Big Sky/Mike the other day . Actually this is the only 'bump' in the road lately. I think there will be a happy ending though as this vendor is top notch. They better be for 1400$ for a steering rack . I must say driving the car with the low ratio is amazing...just goes where you point it. 300 hp Go Kart. I was thinking of going with the 11.5 but after an extended road trip I believe the 12.5 is the one. For the track though the 11.5 would be a real 'killer'

Trending Topics

Old 10 May 2007, 12:55 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many turns lock-to-lock?
Just fitted a quickrack to my classic and the effect is good to say the least.(but it cost $400)
Graham.
Old 10 May 2007, 02:14 PM
SekretSkwirl02
Scooby Regular

2 turns and driving the car now in the tight ones is more fun than sex and free beer....uh well maybe bad sex and free rounds . Needless to say it's a whole new car with this ratio. It was a bit squirrely at first until we started adding more caster into the equation. At over 8 degrees it was 'rock solid' at speed but with more steering effort. Now after taking out a degree or so it is still not squirrely but easier to turn. One surprising benefit was it's 'around town' driveability'. U turns and parking is now a snap. The real fun is obviously on the faster/tighter roads though.