Notices

WRX handling mods ideas

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2007, 08:58 PM
monogfx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX handling mods ideas

Got a 2003 WRX with 18" wheels and Goodyear F1's. 4 wheel alignment done at Powerstation a while ago to try to lessen tyre wear and tramlining (did have standard wheels and Bridgestones and was still the same). Tyre wear is OK now but tramlining is becoming unbearable and am considering parting company with the car. Any ideas for the suspension set up mods etc. apart from another 4 wheel alignment check at Powerstation? Cheers Tim
Old 25 April 2007, 09:23 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Can i ask what ET ur wheels are, only tramlining is normally camber related or can be wrong offset of wheels.
Old 25 April 2007, 09:32 PM
monogfx
Scooby Newbie

Will need to check ET, but it did the same thing with standard OE wheels.
Old 29 April 2007, 05:53 PM
SKS
Scooby Regular

Was getting similar problems on my MY05 WRX. Went back to the stealers 3 times only to be told (all together now) "That's normal sir, they all do that" !!
This is my fourth Impreza and while they are not the best pure handling cars out there (nothing that can't be sorted without a fews choice mods IMHO) none of them ever did that before.
Was pointed in the direction of the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit by some helpful folks and especially Duncan at Hypertech. Turns out the ALK actually increases +ve castor as well as changing the front suspension pick up point.
Combined the ALK with Prodrive fast road geometry settings and have to say it's like a different car. No tram-lining whatsoever, phenomenal front end grip and almost neutral balance now.

Interestingly though, chatting with the blokes fitting and setting up they said they have a steady stream of blobeye owners with similar tales of woe and later models (with the inverted struts like mine) being especially bad !?!
ALK seems to sort it and some!

Just my £0.02 worth but hope this helps.

Cheers,

Stewart.
Old 29 April 2007, 08:52 PM
monogfx
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Stewart - very interesting, was looking at all the various solutions and this was one of them. Great feedback will investigate more.
Old 30 April 2007, 09:24 AM
SKS
Scooby Regular

Tim,

Also meant to say in my post that the F1 is also my tyre of choice.
Have run my last 2 Imprezas on these [now using the Xtra Load 91Y rated versions which have much harder sidewalls to great advantage ;-) ] and they're not part of the problem.

Cheers again,

Stewart.