Notices

Lousy Rear Shockers

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2007, 09:15 PM
Jordan73
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lousy Rear Shockers

I have a UK98 and i'm trying to get the best out of the standard suspension. Due to having 2 young kids I cannot go down the route of coilovers so i've put some modifications in already. They are:

Whiteline front and rear Arb
Uprated drop links
Whiteline Anti lift kit
Camber bolts
Wheels are 17"
All struts and springs are off a UK2000
Tyres currently are 205/50 17 Michelins which actually catch on various parts of the car. Looking to change to 205/40 17. Something with less sidewalls than the Michelins.

I'm thinking of going for Eibach springs and am quite confident that the front will be perfect for what i'm looking for. The problem lies at the rear. The Shocks are so weak compared as the front and would like them both to match.
Are STi the same as standard UK or are they uprated? I wouldn't want the rear to be harder than the front. Has anyone got any ideas on a better rear shocker.

Thanks'

Alan.
Old 06 April 2007, 09:14 AM
timmccr
Scooby Regular

You could try some KYB AGX. Combined with Eibach springs they're a relatively cheap way of upgrading the shocks, plus you get some basic adjustment.

205/50/17 is way out of spec, no wonder they catch, hehe.

What size ARBs did you get?
Old 06 April 2007, 10:41 AM
Jordan73
Scooby Newbie

HaHa yes I know the tyres are a bit out. I paid £250 for nearly new Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 with 4 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup which was on a Classic track day car. The tyres are £200 each but he had coilovers on his impreza.

I'll probably change my tyres soon but I only bought them on Saturday. They're OK driving the kids about and it stops me from putting my foot down.

The ARB's are 24mm. The rears adjustable on middle setting. Could do with having those heavy duty mountings fitted to the rear.

How do you compare the KYB to standard front. Because i'm happy with the front set up I only need rear Shocks of a similar rate.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06 April 2007, 06:51 PM
timmccr
Scooby Regular

Defo get some HD rear mounts for a 24mm rear bar. It'll probably be stressing the poor OE mount to hell and back.

Standard front should be KYB as well, just gas charged fixed-rate struts (aka Excel-G). The AGX shocks are very similar, but have a dial to adjust the damping. Oh, and they're bright red.

Id guess you can roughly dial in the rears to match standard fronts, but it may not match exactly. They'll be brand new versus old, plus they're considered uprated (not sure they're any harder as such, but adjustable all the same).

Could be worth getting the back, seeing if you can get them nicely matched, then if not, upgrade the front. Personally I'd upgrade all four at once, but theres a cost factor to that.
Old 07 April 2007, 08:52 AM
Jordan73
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for that timmccr.

Does anyone know who does the best deals on KYG AGX? A mate of mine has the HD mounts so I will try and fabricate ones myself using his as a template.
Old 08 April 2007, 01:32 PM
timmccr
Scooby Regular

BuyPartsBy have a good price on KYB shocks, both Excel-G (non-adjustable gas struts) and AGX.
Old 11 April 2007, 04:26 PM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

try camskill . where in anglesey r u. thats where im from but work away, going home sundayy though

jim
Old 11 April 2007, 07:41 PM
Jordan73
Scooby Newbie

I'm in..........nearly gave a free advert to car thieves. Let's say east coast. Haven't seen your Classic about. I like your spoiler here is my baby.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...u030407001.jpg