Notices

ideal camber/toe settings for track day?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2001, 02:43 AM
JonH
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear All,

Was wondering what you guys would recommend for alignment settings for track days. Current suspension related mods are: KG/mm adjustable coilovers [japanese stuff] with adjustable camber plates (in the front), 6.5kg/mm springs in the front, 6kg/mm in the rear (sorry, don't know the exact conversion to lbs, but read as stiff) Whiteline ALK, full set of Cusco adjustable lower rear rods. Tyres are Dunlop DO1J (don't know if those are available in Europe, but they are similar to Yokohama A032, A038 and A048)

The track I'll be going to is the Zhu hai international race circuit in China which mainly consists of high speed straights into heaving braking 2nd gear corners. My objective is to reduce understeer and perhaps induce a bit of oversteer. With this in mind, my current setup is Front camber -3.5 degrees Rear camber -1 degrees Front Toe = 0 Rear Toe out 1.5mm

Am I running too much negative camber in the front given the track layout?

Tks,
J
Old 29 November 2001, 06:48 AM
daw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What sort of tyres are you running? This probably makes the most difference to how much neg camber you can actually "use".

..ooops I just re-read and noticed you are using D01Js :-O they come in 3 forms of stickyness. The very sticky would probably handle -3.5 the entry level sticky probably better around -2.5.

Depending on the rear to front sway bar settings I would up the rear neg camber too. i.e. If you have the car set up to be more taily (stiffer rear to front) then I'd go for more neg on the rear.

I like 0 tow on the front and some toe out on the rear because I like the improved turn in. However, if there's less sharp cornering involved though maybe drop the tow to 0 on the rear as the rear tow out does cause some minor instability.

Having said all that alignment settings are very much personal taste.

Regards,

David

[Edited by daw - 11/29/2001 6:58:30 AM]