Notices

Anyone put a set of Pff7's on a 03 STI?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2006, 04:31 PM
ronanharper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone put a set of Pff7's on a 03 STI?

Guys

Thinking of putting a set of 18" Prodrive Pff7's on my 2003 STI. Has anyne done this? Any drawbacks?

I'm concerned as I seen a couple of 2003 STI's with them on and they just dont look quite the part - think its something to do with the distance between the tyre edge and the wheel arch? Do you need to lower the car as well for the complete picture?

Cheers
Old 24 April 2006, 09:42 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

If you don't think they look the part, I wouldn't spend the money on them myself !!!! Expensive regret. I agree though, all scoobs look better lowered. This was my first mod.

My personal opinion is that if I could afford them, I would get some for my bugeye.
Old 27 April 2006, 12:37 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Just put some on my '05 STI on std suspension - tyre choice makes a big difference to the handling and comfort...

RE070s are good in the right conditions but I found the sidewalls too stiff for normal use - they are good for high cornering speeds but they transmit every matchstick sized lump through the car Be wary if you get a slow puncture as you can't tell they go down until very soft and then it might be too late

Changed to Michelin PS2 extra load 235-45x18 - lot better ride quality and grippy but with the softer sidewall, if you overcook it, they will bite back if the sidewall rolls over. Had Goodyear Eagle F1GSD3 on my bugeye WRX but there isn't an extra load version in the size I wanted for the STi.

For the wheels, the only bit I'm wary about is the fact that if you slightly kerb them then it'll probably be expensive - the tyres don't have protectors on and the wheels come right out to the sidewalls if you know what I mean...

I had Speedline Turini rims on my bugeye and the PFF-7s (also by Speedline) are made by the same process of flowforming so I expect them to be as strong.

As for lowering, it's up to you and I'd suggest having a ride in someone's with the same options fitted before you take the plunge just for the sake of "slammin' " it... They do look good but bear in mind the potential extra stiffness, lowered ground clearance (especially if you've a splitter fitted), geometry resetting etc.

Andy
Old 27 April 2006, 12:56 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

I thought that the tyre size should be 40 section and not 45 for the 18" wheel ??
Old 27 April 2006, 11:16 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i've had them on for over a year - i think they look great on the car though i suppose i would. also had a set of eibachs put on shortly after - the car sits much better now

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../Pippyrips.jpg
Old 29 April 2006, 11:11 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Here's a set on an 04 STI. The WR1 has got the Prodrive springs on which lowers it by 20 - 25mm. The tyres are 225 / 40 profile:

http://www.billandelaine.co.uk/scoob.../wr1_small.jpg

Cheers

Anders