MY98 WRX Suspension setup - Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2005, 03:51 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY98 WRX Suspension setup - Advice please

Hello all,

When I first bought the car a couple of years ago it was fitted with the following:

22mm Zerosports front and rear anti roll bars.
Zerosports coilovers (extremely stiff).
Cusco strut brace front upper.

Since then I have changed the following:

Removed the coil overs and fitted standard WRX shocks with eibach springs, slightly lowered.
Powerflex rear solid drop links.
Heavy duty whitleine rear anti roll bar mounts and bushes.
Front whiteline anti roll bar bushes.
Removed the upper strut brace due to larger IC.
Welded the rear bulk head closed.
Prodrive geometry by scoobyclinic.

The problem I have is that the tyres themselves are crap in the wet (Falkens unfortunately). I get a lot of understeer and am wondering whether, even with a tyre change to something decent, if I will still get the understeer due to the current setup?

I have a couple of thoughts that I believe may help but need some assurance.

1) I have a standard WRX front anti roll bar that I could try to see if this improves things.

2) Different width/profile tyre from the 205/45/17 to either 215/40/17 or 215/45/17.

3) Replace the solid front drop links for the plastic type if I can with the Ali wish bones.

Also, the understeer isnt just under power.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Cheers for any help,

Wayne.
Old 20 December 2005, 11:21 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

Wayne,

the tyres are the single most important aspect of a vehicles dynamics. I have no experience of Falkens so can't really comment on their performance but try changing them to Goodyear F1s, Toyos or similar, something that people have had good experiences with. Personally, I'd go for 215/40/17.

If you're still not happy with the set-up with decent tyres replace the front ARB with the standard one, on second thoughts do this first as it'll cost you nothing

As a last resort if you're still not happy increase the front castor angle with some Noltec adjustable top mounts.
Old 20 December 2005, 12:12 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mo
Wayne,

the tyres are the single most important aspect of a vehicles dynamics. I have no experience of Falkens so can't really comment on their performance but try changing them to Goodyear F1s, Toyos or similar, something that people have had good experiences with. Personally, I'd go for 215/40/17.

If you're still not happy with the set-up with decent tyres replace the front ARB with the standard one, on second thoughts do this first as it'll cost you nothing

As a last resort if you're still not happy increase the front castor angle with some Noltec adjustable top mounts.
Cheers Mo!

It looks like the front bar will be tested this week sometime. I will report back.