93' Legacy air shock *ahem shock

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2005, 04:50 PM
hothack
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93' Legacy air shock *ahem shock

Hello everyone.

I have a 93 Legacy Estate which has air suspension. The rears have be playing up for at least six months and one side now deflates completely five minutes after then engine is turned off. (The front units were changed by the previous owner).

I took it to Subaru Isleworth (Marlborough) and after an inspection they recommended two new rear shocks. Unfortunately. these things cost a fortune - The repair will come to just under £1000 which is more than I paid for the car in the first place.

I'm really not sure what to do, especially as I was planning to replace the car in the autumn. I can see some options and I'd welcome any comments or suggestions.

1) Have it done.

2) Try to find the shocks for a cheaper price. I know a mechanic who can fit them (really), Subaru want £371 each + vat. I have no idea where to look, but that does seem a bit expensive.

3) Source and fit and aftermarket conventional shock system. I found a website offering replacements for $700 (US) or similar. Can I buy something similar in the UK?

4) Sell the car for a token sum and forget about it.

5) Scrap it - Which is a shame as it is a really nice car with a minor problem. It's only economics that make it a big problem.

Thanks.

Pete

PS. I did ask a similar question on the forum when the problem first showed a few months back.
Old 30 June 2005, 12:21 AM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll probably get more response on UKlegacy.com

I'd have thought it would be fairly easy to fit conventional struts and springs. Impreza struts will fit and are readily available (eg KYB adjustables new for around $400-$500). Getting the springs for the legacy might be a little more difficult, but there must be some around.