Notices

AVO Coilovers banging :(

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2005, 08:51 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy AVO Coilovers banging :(

I've got a set of AVO Coilovers, and recently they've started to bang (on the front, both sides) when I hit pot holes / or large bumps. I took the car to a mate of mine to investigate another noise, thinking i had a wheel bearing drama.

When he jacked the car up, he found the springs had "relaxed" and wasn't giving the required resistance to bumps. I have the car very low at the moment, and wanted to raise it a couple of mm, to try and save my P1 splitter from road damage. He strongly recommended against this, as this will make matters worse.

I'm a little worried the springs have relaxed to be honest, as they're only 18 months old, and I've probably only done 10 k on them Has anyone else had this?

Does anyone know if the springs can be changed without having to buy another set of coilovers. If so, where can I get them from, and approx. price?

Thanks in advance, Phill
Old 22 June 2005, 09:49 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running with avos for a while and haev never had any probs. When you say the springs have relaxed, do you mean that they have shrunk?

I woudl suggest that you talk to Avo themselves, a new spring will cost you about £15.

www.avouk.com
Old 22 June 2005, 12:51 PM
Scooby Regular

I have (I think) the first production AVO coilovers. not impressed to be honest, BUT, never had your problem, but i do not have original AVO springs. Mine are from Demon Tweeks to get the rates right, AVO screwed that up.

The banging is probably the struts bottoming out under compression as the spring length has reduced.
Springs yielding this way is very rare.

I have done 9000 road miles and hill climbed on them too for 3 years.
You can change the springs without removing the strut, just remove the top mount, so easy to change springs.

Good luck with talking to AVO, I found them very weak.

Graham
Old 22 June 2005, 05:12 PM
ash4bs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had AVO coilovers too. Bought a set of cusco coilovers recently from ebay and they seem to have made it marginally better.

Basically if you use your car on the track then coilovers are fine because you don't get many potholes, but if your car is for general road use then i'd suggest ditching the coilovers and getting some standard type suspension.

Let me know if you get the new springs for your coilovers and if it makes a difference?
Old 22 June 2005, 06:10 PM
Scooby Regular

You do need to work hard to get the coil-overs (whatever make) to work well on the road. You need to drive like a biker rides, watch the road surface like mad!

Pot holes are easy, just try riding rumble strips on the track!

Graham.
Old 25 June 2005, 11:09 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

How many more times will I see this picture Graham? Think of the band width, for gods' sake; think of the starving children in Africa! Is this the new Scooby in a lake?

New pictures pleeease!

F