Notices

What suspension on STI RA?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2005, 05:03 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What suspension on STI RA?

Hi all, i'm looking to use my car for both road and track and was thinking of getting Tein RA with the elec EDFC, anyone used this or any other ideas of what would be a good setup? will prob uprate ARB's, droplinks and bushes at the same time too

Adam
Old 28 April 2005, 09:12 PM
Buck Satan
Scooby Newbie

You may find the RA kit a little compromised for road use, they use 8kg and 6kg springs. Maybe the Tein Type Flex would be a better choice - comes with 6/5kgs (still quite hard for B road use imo)

I use DMS 50mm struts with 4/3kg springs (iirc). Camber/castor plates at the front, camber plates on the rear. Stock bars with uprated bushes and links.
Old 29 April 2005, 07:32 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Agree with Buck. His set-up I have driven in an STi v3 RA, on a sprint track, andthe DMS 50's are really good.
Why not use a UK supply?
Leda/AST etc all use 2 1/4 springs and are easy to get fixed if required.

Some suggestions: buy the best you can afford (ie DMS), avoid AVO's (personal experience), fit fully adjustable top mounts, and do all the other 'usual' stuff especially a demon alignment job.

DMS's are really nice (green with envy )
Old 30 April 2005, 07:49 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

It was just the RA tein to reduce unsprung weight and for the top mounts, I take it that DMS are the dogs, are they light? or would jou still stay with the flex for me? i really want that edfc though! is it possible to fit flex springs (or softer) onto the RA dampers?
Old 03 May 2005, 01:52 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

to the top!
Old 03 May 2005, 07:47 PM
Skippy1
Scooby Regular

I would ring paul at System-R . Really good at car set up and knows his stuff about tein
Old 09 May 2005, 01:27 PM
Buck Satan
Scooby Newbie

Sorry - been away on hols. No idea of the weight of the DMS - they are rather chunky. Do Tein publish the weight of their dampers?

EDFC sounds very cool, do you have to use their top mounts though? I think they are camber plates only... much better off with castor adjustment aswell (especially with big brakes/no abs). I would imagine Tein could supply you with different spring rates, however this may conflict with the RA dampers valving? Best speak to Tein themselves.

911 - a friend managed to snap an AVO shock in half
Old 09 May 2005, 11:55 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

I'm think the RA comes with the castor adj, although I may be wrong.
I see what you mean about the valving causing problems, the car wont be used daily, so I could live with the harsh ride, just to be better on the track and strip when I fancy a play.
The EDFC will help tame it a bit for the street, and save me from having to get dirty, and then I can drive it to the track, press into track mode and have fun, but I must have watched too much knightrider as a kid eh?
I havn't looked if they have published the weights, but they are supposed to be lighter than the other dampers they do.

Thanks

Adam.