Notices

WRX MY05 Suspension / Geometry Setup

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2005, 07:51 PM
Chris Barn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX MY05 Suspension / Geometry Setup

Has any one had a Prodrive Spring kit or Geometry Setup on a WRX 05 model.

I had my first good late night blast back home on Friday night and I feel the suspension / handling could be a little 'tighter' on very fast bends.

However, I don't want to lose the relatively good ride of the car, Thats why I bought a WRX and not an Sti. I also don't want to spend a great deal of money, and this was the reason for my first thought of a geometry check.

But I understand the 05 WRX is the first WRX with inverted struts and I don't want to be a guinea pig for a alignment company to test settings..

Any Ideas or experience yet???

Cheers.
Old 13 February 2005, 08:00 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I'm no help here, but I'm interested in any results you find out.

(on reflection, a completely useless post... )
Old 14 February 2005, 10:09 AM
Chris Barn
Scooby Regular

Has nobody had a Geometry Check on an MY05 WRX then???????
Old 14 February 2005, 11:21 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Yes and it was out, better now on std geom settings. I found my wrx to be very good, however the front can wash out a bit (the good old understeer..!) on very fast bends. The biggest difference so far has been the solid alloy powerflex rear droplinks (~£70 @ tsl). I'm getting a whiteline 22mm rear anti roll bar as soon as Demon Tweeks get them back in (~£70). These two mods together are very good at almost eliminating the natural understeer of the newage cars. I will (when funds are sufficiant..!) be looking at getting the spring kit fitted just to tighten everything up a touch furtur, but mainly for cosmetics.

Apparently, and I've spoke to Mike Wood (Prodrive) about the 05 WRX spring kit, the 03-04 spring kit with STi bump stops is the best option. This should be part of the spring kit when ordering for the 05 cars.

The droplinks and ARB are VERY easy to fit, you should get the geometery checked after fitting them though.

Hope this helps,

Jason
Old 14 February 2005, 01:05 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

Not to sound like a complete novice but can someone explain exactley what droplinks are/do? Easy to fit etc.?

I understand the benefits of strut bars, better springs/shocks, but droplinks are way over my head at the moment.
Old 14 February 2005, 01:41 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by st3ph3n
Not to sound like a complete novice but can someone explain exactley what droplinks are/do? Easy to fit etc.?

I understand the benefits of strut bars, better springs/shocks, but droplinks are way over my head at the moment.
Not at all mate, we have to find out one way or the other.

Try this web page, I've found it very informative:

http://www.stefanostadal.homedns.org...suspension.htm

Jason
Old 14 February 2005, 09:11 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Can't see how drop links and / or bar changes could affect the geometry.

Before going to the expense of changing big oily bits like this, by all means get the geometry checked, a good first step.

But if you do then no point in rechecking after fitting as the "flexible" way the drop links connect means they can't affect toe, castor or camber.

I think..... pretty sure actually.
Old 15 February 2005, 10:55 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

The idea of fitting uprated droplinks is that they are solid and therefore do not flex.
I see your point about the effects of changing these on geometery, however they are an excellent easy upgrade (even my main dealer said so..!) and if your getting the geom setup you might as well fit them first.

Jason

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Can't see how drop links and / or bar changes could affect the geometry.

Before going to the expense of changing big oily bits like this, by all means get the geometry checked, a good first step.

But if you do then no point in rechecking after fitting as the "flexible" way the drop links connect means they can't affect toe, castor or camber.

I think..... pretty sure actually.
Old 15 February 2005, 11:03 AM
Chris Barn
Scooby Regular

OK.

so a Geometry Check is worthwhile and droplinks a consideration. But are the Geometry settings going to be different on a MY05 car to a MY04 because of the inverted struts.

Also who would people recommend in the Midlands area for this work to be carried out. I think I would buy the droplinks and fit them myself and then get the geomoetry done..
Old 16 February 2005, 10:18 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
The idea of fitting uprated droplinks is that they are solid and therefore do not flex.
The droplinks are not totally solid - they are less compliant that the OE ones so they don't flex as much under load. (Pedant, yup )

The OE ones are polymer / plastic with pressed steel bushes for where they attach to the ARB and suspension. I've had Powerflex ones on and whilst the links themselves are alloy, there are polymer bushes at each end to allow some "give." Albeit less than OE ones but still something.

If you want totally solid ones, fit a pair of rose joints with threaded bar in between for adjustment and loctite them solid once set up - you'll have virtually no compliance but maximum load transfer - downside is you've no comfort built in and all the harshness transfers to the body AFAIK this is how race cars / bikes can do them but they're on a different agenda - ultimate performance / little comfort...

HTH

Andy
Old 17 February 2005, 01:51 PM
WRXEEEEEED
Scooby Regular

Default hi m8

see my prblem with drop links and arb and eibach /Prodrive springs in the forum,ive just done what you are thinking of doing, contact me at kinsonN@aol.com my scoobs an 04 model and yours has the new dampers, your right to be weary,

my thread is : Eibach Spring Problem on Blob Eye Wagon