handling probs after strut swap

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2005, 02:54 PM
danc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default handling probs after strut swap

Hi,
Soon after importing my ’95 WRX I removed the 4 suspension struts, and replaced them with 4 standard WRX complete struts from a breakers yard. This improved the previously very bumpy ride.

However the handling didn’t seem too good, steering was more prone to wander/dive on bumpy roads. Going slowly around a roundabout holding moderate steering lock, I can feel the weight of the steering pulsing from light to heavy, through several degrees; .if you know what I mean !!?

I’ve had into a 4 wheel alignment centre twice and the front camber seems to be out. We were unable to get the nearside wheel to lean enough to bring the camber in after loosening the 2 strut bolts. Would the way the bolts were fitted have an effect on this.AFAIK the suspension otherwise is standard (wishbones etc..)
Does anyone know the correct setting for this model should be.
Is camber at rear adjusted also by the 2 strut bolts?

DanC
Old 20 January 2005, 03:07 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front struts should each have an eccentric camber bolt fitted as standard in the bottom hole (if memory serves me right) to allow the correct camber to be dialed in.
the standard rears have no adjustment , but a set of camber bolts can be purchased for around £15 to dial more in if required.
hve a look on the SIDC website for the standard settings or do a search on here.

Dean

Originally Posted by danc
Hi,
Soon after importing my ’95 WRX I removed the 4 suspension struts, and replaced them with 4 standard WRX complete struts from a breakers yard. This improved the previously very bumpy ride.

However the handling didn’t seem too good, steering was more prone to wander/dive on bumpy roads. Going slowly around a roundabout holding moderate steering lock, I can feel the weight of the steering pulsing from light to heavy, through several degrees; .if you know what I mean !!?

I’ve had into a 4 wheel alignment centre twice and the front camber seems to be out. We were unable to get the nearside wheel to lean enough to bring the camber in after loosening the 2 strut bolts. Would the way the bolts were fitted have an effect on this.AFAIK the suspension otherwise is standard (wishbones etc..)
Does anyone know the correct setting for this model should be.
Is camber at rear adjusted also by the 2 strut bolts?

DanC