Notices

opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2005, 11:45 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question opinions please

guys what are your opinions on choice of uprated,preferably adjustable shocks for the classic impreza and where is cheap to get them?
thanks
Old 16 January 2005, 11:43 AM
ChrisC
Scooby Regular

Smile A sceptics answer

Originally Posted by buzzard
guys what are your opinions on choice of uprated,preferably adjustable shocks for the classic impreza and where is cheap to get them?
thanks
I am very sceptical as I have had two classic imports with modified suspension including adjustable shocks and I've ditched the set up in favour of:
Sti struts (second hand)
Eibach springs (after trying standards) lowered about 20mm
Whiteline anti roll bars front and rear and uprated links.
Followed up with a four wheel alignment check.
All for less than the cost of the adjustable shocks !
The improvement in handling is significant and the ride is comfortable without being too soft.
Still just my view.
Old 16 January 2005, 08:49 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

Exclamation S H O C K S

cheers chris.
the more responses we get from people telling us the set up theyve got and what the "feel",comfort and handling are like, then the easier it will be for people to choose what they should buy for their cars.
Old 16 January 2005, 10:48 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

I have heard a few people say that there not happy with the ride of full adjustable suspension. I suppose its hard to get the right setting for road use?

On my Legacy i opted for STi RA front setup (secondhand also) and uprated rears with Pi springs, with camber on max setting. I found using this set-up the car handles alot better with improved stiffness and reduced roll without much loss of comfort. All i want now is some alloy drop-links and maybe ARB's then i'll be done.

Hope that helps
Comper100
Old 17 January 2005, 06:31 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Chris C is spot-on.

I have an Sti v3 modified totally with every whiteline mod on it and beyond.
I hill climb the car along with 3000 road miles a year (getting to and from the tracks.)

If you want a nice smooth road car with a lot better ability over standard then follow ChrisC. I would add though keeping to the 16'' wheels and add the best tyres you can afford too.

The difference will be very noticeable and at a good cost.

Old 17 January 2005, 11:25 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I ditched my coil overs a while ago as they were simply too much for the road.

Gone back to standard struts with Eibachs, uprated roll bars and links plus a geo setup. Superb results.
Old 17 January 2005, 01:05 PM
Scooby Regular

Getting coil-overs to really work on the road is not simple. Spring rates are hard to get right, and it took me 3 tries to get it right. Setting the dampers to suit was done by hire of a real test track to get that right in safety!

They are now balanced quite well for road and competition, but it is still not a real daily driver.

The Sti/20mm lower springs/anti roll bars/GOOD alignment/brilliant tyres will do wonders to the car. (for half the cost)

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2005, 10:50 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

Default S H O C K S

great feedback lads, keep em coming.
Old 18 January 2005, 07:02 AM
Scooby Regular

It would be tempting to try to get a P1 suspension set; not sure if these came with lowered springs though.
Prodrive worked hard to improve on the Type R base car for UK roads.
While you/someone is under there i would fit Camber Bolts to each corner to allow the alignment man good freedom to get the angles right and equal around the chassis. The stock bolts have to be disturbed anyway to change the legs and the cost is not too high.
You had best stop there or you will end up like me!

Old 18 January 2005, 06:21 PM
lukey1
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by buzzard
thanks

i have kyb agx adjustable shocks on my 97 uk turbo and think they are a great improvement over standard, they have 4 settings front and 8 on the rear and its lowered 35mm with 18s and have no probs at all.

do a search for them on here im sure there was a long thread on them after a gb which has some good pics and info also they are reasonably priced.
Old 18 January 2005, 07:34 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lukey1
i have kyb agx adjustable shocks on my 97 uk turbo and think they are a great improvement over standard, they have 4 settings front and 8 on the rear and its lowered 35mm with 18s and have no probs at all.

do a search for them on here im sure there was a long thread on them after a gb which has some good pics and info also they are reasonably priced.
I think this is the thread lukey1 was referring to http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=357569 or could be this one http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=360477.

It was on the strength of this that I've got mine booked into Scoobyclinic on Monday for a set with the Eibach springs, err and droplinks, err and rear ARB and err well some other bits, anyway you get the idea

Last edited by bgood; 18 January 2005 at 07:46 PM. Reason: found another thread
Old 19 January 2005, 04:00 PM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

Default Getting a good all-round road compromise

Hiya,

Very interested in this thread and the opinions so far, as a newcomer to Scoobs (just got a '95 JDM WRX). Whilst this is all a bit subjective, it seems clear to me that some mods bias the car (any car) towards track-work, which may be good on smooth A-roads but too harsh on bumpy backroads. You can spend loadsa money making it too narrowly focussed.

A comparison - I've moved from a coilover-equipped Corrado VR6 to the standard WRX and, hell, it makes the VW feel like yesterday's car. Similar weight, but the WRX feels to have much less unsprung weight (it has standard 16"s) or maybe that's just more advanced suspension design - it feels compliant rather than crashy over big bumps. On the VW I liked the coilovers compared to standard (FK kit with adjustable Koni dampers) but it was definitely a smooth-roads car - all it took was a few hours in the Scoob to realise how things ought to be! The Koni damping range went from too-soft-for-the-spring-rate (boiinnngggg, uh-ho there's the ditch!) to rattle-the-fillings-out-of-yer-teeth, which was great on the right roads (think A68 rather than B660, for example) but even then you had to be really flying for it to be worth the discomfort. The rest was standard, including the 15" Speedlines with 205/50 Eagle F1s.

Anyway, back to the Scoob. With 100k miles on the clock (and on original dampers, possibly) it needs improving for sure, but with all-round road ability in mind. Surprisingly good for its age but vague when pushed hard. This is my current thinking, in order:

1. replace those worn plastic rear droplinks and possibly add a Whiteline ARB at same time (...bit wary of adding just one uprated component to std setup, but you guys seem to recommend firmer antiroll at the rear).

2. Eagle F1s instead of Hankooks, although maybe do that on 17"s and keep the 16"s as winter wheels.

3. Dampers and maybe springs. Std spring rate is a comfy compromise, but slightly firmer might be worthwhile. Definitely underdamped at present, not surprising given the mileage, so definitely want to replace them. The STi/P1 suggestions sound interesting.

4. Strut braces? Sounds like rear brace could be useful.

5. What else, would anyone suggest?

Now then, whilst I'm looking to retain comfort, I genuinely think you need some compliance to go fast on real roads. My background is mostly bikes, with some racing, and there's a big difference between road and track. Ride an Isle of Man bike on the track and it feels soft. Ride a trackbike in a road race and it'd pitch you into the hedge...

cheers
Andy
Old 19 January 2005, 04:16 PM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
If you want a nice smooth road car with a lot better ability over standard then follow ChrisC. I would add though keeping to the 16'' wheels and add the best tyres you can afford too.
That's interesting. I wonder if the 16/17" debate is influenced by tyre choice. That is, 17"s with softish-sidewall good tyres (eg. Eagle F1s) can be a good compromise, but maybe they would be harsh with a stiffer-walled tyre.

Andy
Old 19 January 2005, 06:19 PM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy916
That's interesting. I wonder if the 16/17" debate is influenced by tyre choice. That is, 17"s with softish-sidewall good tyres (eg. Eagle F1s) can be a good compromise, but maybe they would be harsh with a stiffer-walled tyre.

Andy
For what it's worth, Prodrive's Mike Wood is on record as saying that moving from 16" to 17" rims and tyres will provide more of a handling improvement than upgrading the suspension! In other words, this should be priority one. (I still have 16" rims and tyres on my Scoob with an upgraded suspension kit, so I guess I blew it! )
Old 19 January 2005, 10:57 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

anyone know anything about POTENZA shocks? thats whats on my 96 wrx and are ready for the bin. ive owned 5 imprezas and driven probably 20 more and of all of them my current car handled the best when the shocks were good. there is a 5 mile stretch of wild and twisty downhill road that i often drive on. with any of the previous imprezas, 60-65mph was the highest speed i could keep confident control, but with my current setup i can reach 85mph which is a substantial reflection on the suspension. i would replace with the same shocks but havent been able to come up with any links from websearches.
Old 19 January 2005, 11:00 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

incidentally, upping to 17" is essential in my opinion. major transformation of handling,ride and stability.
Old 19 January 2005, 11:05 PM
pan93wrx
Scooby Regular

hi mate , there's a set of potenza shocks with springs for sale on ebay. not me selling them by the way. i'm also thinking of upgrading my suspension. read there was a group buy on the kyb adjustables and eibach springs a while back. would anyone else be interested if we could organise something?
Old 19 January 2005, 11:07 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

cheers i'll check now. i couldnt find any yesterday tho
Old 19 January 2005, 11:09 PM
pan93wrx
Scooby Regular

item no. 7948352488
Old 19 January 2005, 11:14 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

Wink

nice un
Old 19 January 2005, 11:27 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

shame they are used. i want new ones cos i was spoilt as a child!!!!
Old 19 January 2005, 11:27 PM
pan93wrx
Scooby Regular

no probs mate
Old 19 January 2005, 11:35 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

they are the same as on mine and they ARE damn good in the corners.
Old 20 January 2005, 11:33 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

any other suspension setups out there?
Old 21 January 2005, 06:55 AM
Scooby Regular

Default spelling again

If i can add a little more to this good discussion:

I have a large number of mods to the chassis on my Sti v3 which is road driven 3000 and serious competition in hill climbing.

I have P1 17's with Kumho V70 tyres (so called road legal semi slicks) medium compound and it is superb on the road, even looks good!
For hill climbs I use stock 16'' Sti wheels with the same tyre type but in super soft compound.
There is little to choose between them on the track, but the 16's just feel tighter and more direct.

The tyres on the 17's have a rolling diameter of 610mm (about standard size on a classic Scooby) and the 16's are 590mm.
The sidewalls are VERY stiff in both cases, even more so on the 16's and that is where the precision comes from.
These are great tyres, but last only 6000 miles, but do they ever grip.....

The P1 wheel is a great classic style in grey on a white Impreza and it drives great on motorway and B roads too AND I have coil overs!

Coil over spring rates are very important. Some here talk of the Impreza as a 'compliant' suspended car, so so right.
My spring rates are about 15% stiffer, no more.

The experts to read are on the www.whiteline.com.au site. I have used them and their products with others as my bible and the car is really good.

Ill soon have 380 bhp to test it this racing season

Hope this is of interest.

Last edited by 911; 21 January 2005 at 06:59 AM.
Old 21 January 2005, 11:25 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

I have a Uk MY99. The car was virtually standard except for having the Geometry done at Prosport, I thought after having the geometry done that it handled very well.

Then the rear shocks went, so seeing the group buy here on scoobynet I opted for the KYB adjustables and the Eibach springs. I had these fitted just before I did a private track day at Curborough this made a big difference! (search for SMACS Curborough Day to see) I was very happy but after letting letting the suspension settle I had the Geometry done again at Prosport just before Christmas. I did not have time till new year to drive the car properly with the new settings, but now I have it is superb I would recomend these to anybody. I have been playing with the sttings on the shocks and now I have settled for 2 front and 5 rear. I have no understeer at all when dry, very little when wet which then turns into gentle oversteer when pushed very hard. The only thing I want to play with now are the tyres I think if I keep the car for a bit longer I will try the khumos like 911

The suspension now is the following

KYB adjustables allround
Eibach spring kit
Whiteline drop links
Geometry set up.
Toyo T1R 205/50/16

The car just puts a big smile on my face every time I drive it now!

PS I design racecars for a living!

www.djracecars.com

911 are you at the loton test day?

Last edited by Andy S.; 21 January 2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 22 January 2005, 07:41 AM
Scooby Regular

Oh yes!
My wife does the entries!
If you are a regular sopport for your race cars and go to the Midland hills I race in C1 class in my Sti.

Small world

Old 23 January 2005, 09:12 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

ive found 17's to dramatically improve the stability over 16's but i havent tried such hardwall tyres as you have 911. on standard road tyres the car becomes very flighty with 16's, and even scarier with 15's!!

any opinions on KONI adjustables?
Old 23 January 2005, 10:26 PM
Scooby Regular

No, but I do have an opinion on AVO steel bodied coil-overs, and would suggest you look at the Koni's!

As to the tyres, the Kumho's are very stiff walled and i simply have a lot of faith in them. When you are hill climbing and the trees are just 6 feet away, you need faith at 70 mph (I've hit one in my 911 on Toyo's...)
Thet are totally different to everything else in a very posative way.

Last edited by 911; 23 January 2005 at 10:30 PM. Reason: need to add a bit!
Old 23 January 2005, 11:33 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

like AndyS I have AGX dampers..
(currently on my 'winter' settings of 2front, 4 rear as anything firmer promotes too much oversteer in the wet - 4 and 8 contributed massively to a spin @ curborough for me.. (damp track+ran out of talent )

on the road in the dry I normally tend to go for 4 and 6
Running 17" wheels (have to- brakes are too big for anything less)

current suspension:

KYB AGX shocks
Eibach Pro Kit Springs.
Power Flex Drop links
Whiteline bushes
Whiteline Anti lift kit
Whiteline non adjustable 24mm rear ARB - makes for some hairy arsed oversteer
Bumpsteer mod'
Front strut brace

I did 70% of these BEFORE I started on a power mission.
have to try and blag a drive in a bog standard scoob to remind me of the difference as mine is the only car I drive and you tend to lose persective
Toyo 1S ( i prefer them to eagle F1's)

Looking into camber bolts for near future - anything else I can try to add??

Quick Reply: opinions please