Notices

Suspension Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2004, 10:33 AM
pban
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Feedback

Just thought I would post my impressions after having Leda fitted to my STI 5.

First it needs to be know I had Leda fitted ages ago back in the rattle days and was always very impressed with the car's handling just could not tolerate the rattle. So after almost a years of visiting Leda in an effort to resolve I sort a refund from Scoobysports which was given in full and without complaint.

So 5 years on and it started to become apparent that maybe the current standard struts were getting a little long in the tooth. There are no signs of wear but some how the car just didn't feel as confidence in the bends and I found that I was taking the corners slower than expected. I knew its wasn't down to the geometry as I had had this check at Micheldever's recently.

So the question was do I stick with what I already have and just replace the struts with new ones or follow the coilover route again?

I contacted some of my trusted Tuning advisors and the common opinion was stick with what I have. I didn't like this idea so much as I do do the occasional track day and a coilover system is unbeatable on the track. It also didn't fit with my upgrade policy of "when broke upgrade"

So I decided to fit a coilover system but the question was which one?

Well I budgeted £1.5k for the system seeing as replacing the 4 STI struts was going to be nearly £900. So which system? I always liked the Leda kit but the dreaded rattle then there was the DMS stuff had good reports but no UK support and I also heard that Proflex had a road system and they have an excellent reputation.

Well I ruled out the DMS kit as without UK support I thought it a little risky. I then talked to Leda and explained my history and they assured me the rattle was gone and I got a price for the Proflex stuff. Next I did a little research on here to see if the rattle issued had really been solved which was backed up in other posts and I also found someone using Proflex for an opinion. Having done all that I was wavering towards the Proflex TBH but this is a non adjustable system and I started thinking well what’s the point of coilover with no adjustment which led me straight back to the Leda.

So there it was the choice was made all I needed to do is decide spring rates so after talking to others on here for there advice we came up with the numbers of 275 front and 225 rears. I called Leda to order and they also confirmed the spring rates were OK so there it was; all I needed to do was wait for it to be made and then shipped and then my garage to fit it for me.

Well it finally got fitted last week and I have now had it on the car for a week so here are my impressions - AWESOME The ride does not seem much harder then the standard set-up if at all which is good for me but the control through the corners is impressive. Stability under braking again is excellent; I now can attack the corners with confidence which was lacking before. I am one very happy bunny so would like to say thanks to few peoples

DuncanG
Guinness

For all there advice on spring rates and selecting a system

Thanks to Leda for making a great car greater and for making rattle free dampers :-D

So that’s about it, if you are think coilover then Leda is worth looking at!

Thanks for reading

Paul
Old 15 December 2004, 12:39 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great result, you are not an impulsive buyer then!
When my AVO's finally rattle themselves to death/break it will be LEDA for me too.
The DMS were supported in the UK ages ago by TEG and Scoobymania but not now i think.

Good choice, now you are ready to spend 3 x more on the engine......

Old 15 December 2004, 01:30 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Intesresting! I am still dithering over which coilovers to get. A freind has AST's and they are great but have a niggling knocking noise (for him) at the rear

I'm not convinced that KYB adjustable struts would be the answer but probably more of a halfway house in the end.

API have some new coilovers that look very interesting and at a competitive price but they lack history.

I did speak to LEDA a few months ago and they told me that the knocking was essentially 'pot luck'. I had been told that the LEDA units had changed to a new design but when I checked with LEDA they weren't sure

I'm coming to the conclusion that fitment is critical and retaining the springs in exactly the right place is crucial too. Get all this right though and a well specced coilover system will out perform nearly everything else.

Pban, are you local to me??? PM me.

F
Old 07 January 2005, 03:17 PM
fuzzy13
Scooby Newbie

Which variation did you get, oil, oil/gas, gas?
Old 07 January 2005, 03:22 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fuzzy13
Which variation did you get, oil, oil/gas, gas?
The default ones supplied what ever that is
Old 08 January 2005, 01:49 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

I have LEDA 320/275lb. Our roads are very bumpy and poor good place for testing I run 10 clicks front and 12 rear and car handling is great. With this setup is little more understeer may be 9/12 should be better but my wife dont like cars like M3
Since LEDA fitted there is allways knocking from right rear like damaged top mount. Iam will change all top mounts for rose joint type and will see...
Old 10 January 2005, 06:32 PM
BeverleyJM
Scooby Regular

Paul, thanks for the feedback, glad to see you're happy