Notices

damping question

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2004, 11:40 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damping question

I've got a question about damping. In a normal street car, if the car gets some air, it crashes down and usually slams onto the bump stops.

In a rally car, it all gets nicely adsorbed - no rebound. Now how much damping compared to a normal car are dialled into a WRC car running a gravel or forest rally ? And how much damping on tarmac relative to each other ?

Thanks, just a general knowledge question. I have been playing with my Tein flexes and learning a few things.
Old 27 September 2004, 08:50 AM
jgevers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prana
I've got a question about damping. In a normal street car, if the car gets some air, it crashes down and usually slams onto the bump stops.

In a rally car, it all gets nicely adsorbed - no rebound. Now how much damping compared to a normal car are dialled into a WRC car running a gravel or forest rally ? And how much damping on tarmac relative to each other ?

Thanks, just a general knowledge question. I have been playing with my Tein flexes and learning a few things.
Dampersin a WRC car are able to be valved in a manner that different damping is achieved a different damper acceleration and speeds. So it is not just a question of adding more damping on bump or rebound. Spring rates are different to a road car as well, depending on surface. Suspension pick up point do vary as well. Probably better not to compare WRC car to normal road car.

Regards,

Job
Old 27 September 2004, 10:50 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jgevers
Dampersin a WRC car are able to be valved in a manner that different damping is achieved a different damper acceleration and speeds. So it is not just a question of adding more damping on bump or rebound. Spring rates are different to a road car as well, depending on surface. Suspension pick up point do vary as well. Probably better not to compare WRC car to normal road car.

Regards,

Job

Thanks Job -

as I said, it was definitely a general knowledge question. I just love seeing them fly and land without so much as rebound. It just seems to get adsorbed so well....