Notices

Chop springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2004, 01:30 PM
STI-R/A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chop springs?

Hi there, Im getting some eibachs/kyb shocks for my 95 classic but they only lower the car by 30 mm. I was hoping for a drop of about 45mm. What effect would chopping one of the coils off the springs have on the car? Im running 18s as well.
Thanks.
Old 10 September 2004, 01:52 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Personally I wouldnt go there - apart from how this may effect the overall strength of the spring ( not sure if does or not but wouldnt risk it at all - might make it more complicated being progressive) I dont think the spring would sit well / align with the strut and top mount correctly either - maybe go for H&R springs instead as i hear these give you a better drop - approx 50mm.

Ta
Rich
Old 10 September 2004, 04:30 PM
STI-R/A
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks matey, i'll gp for the h+r kit instead

Originally Posted by Richardw
Personally I wouldnt go there - apart from how this may effect the overall strength of the spring ( not sure if does or not but wouldnt risk it at all - might make it more complicated being progressive) I dont think the spring would sit well / align with the strut and top mount correctly either - maybe go for H&R springs instead as i hear these give you a better drop - approx 50mm.

Ta
Rich
Old 12 September 2004, 08:47 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Richardw

Ta
Rich
You don't want to go too low with the Impreza mate. I wouldn't recommend chopping the springs down, as they won't seat properly. You say you have 18 onch wheels....Are the impreza specific wheels? Otherwise you'll find they rub the arches.....

If you want adjustment, get a set of adjustable coilover. TSL do a set for around the £800 mark.

Hope this helps, Phill
Old 12 September 2004, 11:57 PM
Anthony's_Scooby
Scooby Regular

I have springs that lower my car by about 45/50mm(standard struts) and would not recommend it unless you do the whole suspension struts and springs.

The ride in my car is very harsh and crashes and bangs on every small bump, I also find the exhaust (3" decat) catches on speed humps.

I a looking to change it and am considering the GB on struts and eibachs at the moment.

I also have 18's and these do occasionally rub when I have people in the back and corner at any speed.

Hope this helps also.

Anthony

I would just say though, it does look good slammed on the floor.
Old 13 September 2004, 11:42 AM
STI-R/A
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys, I am gonna hold out until i can afford coilovers. I have no back seats so rubbing arches is not a problem!
Cheers.

Originally Posted by Anthony's_Scooby
I have springs that lower my car by about 45/50mm(standard struts) and would not recommend it unless you do the whole suspension struts and springs.

The ride in my car is very harsh and crashes and bangs on every small bump, I also find the exhaust (3" decat) catches on speed humps.

I a looking to change it and am considering the GB on struts and eibachs at the moment.

I also have 18's and these do occasionally rub when I have people in the back and corner at any speed.

Hope this helps also.

Anthony

I would just say though, it does look good slammed on the floor.