Removing the Motorway "Bounce" from STI8

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2004, 01:33 PM
Mcbrun555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the Motorway "Bounce" from STI8

Hi All,

My dad has a Standard STI8 and it is bouncing a lot on the motorway, not hugely comfortable...

He has about £350 to spend on the car and so far it is a choice between a new back box to give bring back the flat-four burble or buy the prodrive springs.

Will the prodrive springs remove this bounce or will they degrade the ride quality further?

Mcbrun555
Old 16 August 2004, 09:04 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With just a little bit more cash he could have both - as long as he fits them himself!!
The prodrive springs do improve the ride in terms of the dreaded "bounce" (there have been a number of threads on here about the subject) but do not harden the ride very much. A very worthwhile mod. (the only one my wife gave full approval to!) The suspension geometry will need to be adjusted to Prodrive recommendations to take advantage.
JohnD
Old 18 August 2004, 04:38 PM
STI @ 21
Scooby Regular

Up to him of course depends what he is after haven't gone with the springas of yet but instead spent most of my money on power, howver springs and alloys are next. Problems though although you get a nice sound with new back box he would have to spend serious money (de-cat) in order to get the proper sound, so may be worth saving up for a bit, as I did it in 3 steps back box, de cat down centre section, and the end result is awesome, am currently looking at a flammer kit to finish it off. However I would say one thing think about fitting a rear anti roll bar, I have fitted one as a start to modding the suspension and o what a difference the car feels tight at the back end and there isn't that bounce effect. Had a P1 owner in when it was mapped and putting out aronud 340 bhp with the anit roll bar just fitted and he couldn't believe how good it felt. Anwya just my 2p worth

Chris
Old 29 August 2004, 10:27 PM
GravelCrew
Scooby Newbie

I know the bounce, it usually goes away upon acceleration, but it does get annoying since we are not always accelerating.

I used to do a lot of driving and had coilovers which were very bouncy and I could not take it any longer. I began to HATE my car. So, if it is that big of a concern, get springs before you begin to hate the car.

Besides, if you get the wrong backbox and get too much drone it can add to the annoyance. I was in this position before myself. I wanted a quality exhaust but did not have enough, so I settled with a cheap one. The burble was great and as was the power, but soon I got sick of the noise and at this point returned it to stock and saved up for a better system. However, I did not save for the best, so now I need to spend more money to get it right.

Save up and do it right. You will spend less in the long run.
Old 01 September 2004, 12:51 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

Get the Prodrive springs without hesitation. Ride quality is vastly improved, original springs were doing my back in to the point I wondered about keeping the car. No such issues now. Difficult to understand why the OEM items are so bad.

Regardless of cost I think this is the first thing to sort on the STi8, but do take it somewhere that will do the geometry properly (harder to find than you might think).

Diccy.
Old 01 September 2004, 02:10 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D1CCY
Get the Prodrive springs without hesitation. Ride quality is vastly improved, original springs were doing my back in to the point I wondered about keeping the car. No such issues now. Difficult to understand why the OEM items are so bad.

Regardless of cost I think this is the first thing to sort on the STi8, but do take it somewhere that will do the geometry properly (harder to find than you might think).

Diccy.
did someone mention PROPER geometry TSL all the way im v happy with the results on mine
Old 02 September 2004, 08:28 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

hawkeye,

Yes indeed. Had mine sorted at TSL as well after my local dealer screwed up.

diccy.
Old 08 September 2004, 07:41 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Again TSL here for me too, well impressed for sure. They too good though, i keep going back and spending more money!