What can I do for £175

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2004, 11:45 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I do for £175

Hi peeps,

Im after improving the bone shaking ride I get in my my93 WRX JDM. Basically I have 175 quid to spend. How do I best spend it.

The problems I see are:

a) very harsh ride, rock your fillings out if you go too fast
b) It permanantly pulls to the left. If i take my hand off the wheel it just homes in so to speak. The tyre pressures etc are all fine and correct. It hasnt been banged on any curbs or such.

I realise £175 isnt much but where is the best place to put my money and have doen to the car. As long as it isnt too technical I can do the work myself if that helps.
Old 20 July 2004, 01:32 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

You can do a bit without spending more than a bit of time on the car.
If the car's pulling, try swapping the wheels left to right. It might be a tyre wear thing. OTOH might be brakes binding....

Get a 4 wheel alignment done. Look for P1 or similar suspension on ebay.

J.

Last edited by vindaloo; 20 July 2004 at 01:38 AM.
Old 20 July 2004, 10:49 AM
highlander
Scooby Regular

Stuey

If you have a bone shaking ride in your MY93 I would hazard a guess you have non standard suspension on there as the more usual complaint would be to soft a ride and too much roll.

If you have coilovers on there - my own feeling would be to get them off ASAP - I went down that route and almost had my innards scrambled by what was supposedly suitable for UK roads. Coilovers are suitable for the track and that's it - unless you are prepared to put up with less than ideal handling and ride on UK roads.

£175 if you are lucky might buy you a 2nd hand suspension setup assuming you could fit it yourself. Depending on where you are I would heartily recommend a 4 wheel alignment setup at Micheldever. fast and efficient and also very reasonably priced. This should also address your issue with pulling to the left. Even if it is a tyre issue they will advise you on that.

If your suspension is not coilovers perhaps a change to slightly more forgiving springs may help. Eibachs seem to be the best I have come across.

Incidentally my setup with which I am now delighted is KYB adjustable dampers with Eibach springs. If you check the North American websites this is the setup they seem to find the best for roadgoing Impreza's.

Last edited by highlander; 20 July 2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old 20 July 2004, 11:23 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Hi guys, well let me put it this way, the suspension aint standard no matter what the garage says, its like 6" off the floor its that low that i bang the rear transmission if i go over the smallest of speed bumps so the way forward i think is:

1. Get second hand setup
2. Fit it, and if poss get it aligned.
Old 21 July 2004, 07:00 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but the laser alignment as described above must be your priority?
If you fit the secondhand P1 or Sti suspension you will need the set-up anyway.
At 6'' off the ground, the suspension will be close to bottoming, a very dangerous condition if you are scooting around enjoying the car so to speak...This may be why your springs are hard, to stop the suspension bottoming.
I think an Sti set (being more commonly available) will transform the car.