Notices

Prodrive suspension........NOT HAPPY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2001, 10:02 PM
Fireman Sam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently had fitted to my MY99 Impreza, the Prodrive suspension kit and i`m not happy with it.

Near me are roads which allow the Impreza to shine. Lots of sweeping curves ,crests, dips,straights.... real enjoyable roads, if only I could enjoy them.
When I had 17`s and the original suspension, i always enjoyed a blast through these roads but since changing to 18`s and Prodrive Bisteins I can`t enjoy it anymore.
Basically I don`t know if the fault is with the shocks or the springs. When the shocks compress after going over a crest for example, it feels like the shocks are bottoming out or the springs (Eibach) are too soft.
Now this is odd, because the car is definitely stiffer than before and the only reason I changed the suspension was under advice given yonks ago by Mike Wood, that the car would "wallow" going in to bends with 18`s and std suspension. I found this to be true, but the car still, how can i put it..."falls" to the side before composing itself for the bend ( a bit disconcerting)
With this problem and the fact I can`t "press on" because the suspension bottoms out with little effort, i`m unsure what i should do next without throwing money on the car needlessly.
The kit has only been on the car for a couple of months and is set up with I`m told by the dealer with 1.5 deg neg camber front and rear. Toe in /out settings were never disclosed but were "set to Prodrive`s recommendations"
I should also point out that there are no bumpstops fitted to these units, the originals wouldn`t fit (without enlarging the hole) because of the piston diameter. But then again I shouldn`t have to rely on the bumpstops under normal circumstances.

Any advice anyone?
Old 07 July 2001, 01:58 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

when we started to fit the prodrive set up a few yrs ago we had several cars come back coz the shocks had bottomed out and started to rattle then we couldent get any more kits and when we did they had changed the shocks to some that were visably longer and we had no more problems after the change it could be you may have got hold of some old stock.
Old 07 July 2001, 10:20 PM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Question

Which Prodrive kit do you have: the older "Performance/GT" or the new "WR/Professional" kit?
Old 08 July 2001, 11:21 AM
Fireman Sam
Scooby Regular

Hi
I believe it is the cheaper of the two versions Prodrive sell.
It has the blue Eibach springs insread of the silver ones if that helps.
I can try and dig out the part numbers if that helps.

FS
Old 08 July 2001, 11:25 AM
Fireman Sam
Scooby Regular

I also have another problem which has only shown up since the suspension was put on and that is under braking at high speed, the car becomes very nervous and twitchy and wants to snake side to side.
A bit like tramlining but the tyres are new.
I put the original 16`s back on to check if it was the tyres but they do the same as well. (SO2`s)

FS
Old 08 July 2001, 11:50 AM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Wink

i had prodrive suspension on my old my00. i really didn't think it was all that really.
my sti5 has the scoobysport leda suspension.
it REALLY is very good
is it possible to get your money back and change to leda??
i would, if i were you
Old 08 July 2001, 03:57 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Sam, I have the same suspension as you on my UK00 - the older 'Performance' kit as opposed to the newer 'Professional' kit, although both are still available at exactly the same price. I run 17in wheels and big brakes.

I can't compare to Leda or whatever, but they are vastly better than standard. I've done a few track days with no probs and I've also done some brake tests for ScoobyNews at Bruntingthorpe. Amongst other things, I did a 100 to zero full-on stop with no hands on the wheel, just to check stability. It stopped dead straight. (It takes a bit of nereve to do this and I worked up to it from lower speeds. For Chrissakes don't try it on the road; could turn very nasty.)

The only problem I've had is that the rear springs have settled a bit low (31cm from wheel centre to underside of wheel arch). Mike Wood swapped them for the slightly longer 5-door springs no probs.

What I'm saying is, the suspension is much better than standard and should really bring a smile under the conditions you describe. Secondly, there is something wrong with yours, or quite likely the wheel geometry is all to ****. Lastly, Prodrive have been very helpful to me, as I'm sure they wiil be to you.

Richard.

[This message has been edited by Hoppy (edited 08 July 2001).]
Old 08 July 2001, 04:59 PM
Fireman Sam
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Hoppy.

The suspension was set up by my dealer who had corresponded with Prodrive on how to set it up with 18`s.
With the original setup I could traverse roads near me without bottoming out the suspension but with this setup I don`t need any effort to do this.
I have to point out though that the suspension is harder than the original so I can`t understand why i`m bottoming out.
The other issue with the nervousness is I feel possibly down to the tracking, either front or rear `cause different size wheels /tyres aren`t making a difference (16`s,17`s or 18`s)to the condition.

FS
Old 09 July 2001, 12:08 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Sorry to ask the obvious - but have you approached the fitter with these problems?

Seems that a phone call saying you arent happy would sort it out!!

Jza
Old 09 July 2001, 03:23 PM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

I have the Prodrive suspension and have non of these problems.

Darren.
Old 09 July 2001, 04:54 PM
Fireman Sam
Scooby Regular

I fitted the kit myself but the dealer set it up.
I am in the process of trying to sort the problem out but thought it might be worthwhile asking the board for any experiences and advice.

FS
Old 09 July 2001, 06:10 PM
Fireman Sam
Scooby Regular

I suppose I was also hoping MIke Wood might have gave us his thoughts as I believe he replies on this board regularly, though he may be on holiday.

FS
Old 10 July 2001, 12:34 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Is this brand new suspension or 2nd hand? If the latter maybe it's broken/damaged in some way.

greg
Old 10 July 2001, 12:37 AM
Fireman Sam
Scooby Regular

It was bought through a Subaru dealership.

FS
Old 12 July 2001, 11:20 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

FS,

Have you taken it back to the dealership to see what they say? Surely it's covered under warranty?

cheers,

greg
Old 12 July 2001, 11:52 AM
Fireman Sam
Scooby Regular

Hi Greg

I`ve spoken to my dealer regarding this and he his going to have a word with Prodrive to see what they say.
It was suggested because it was lowered that it may be hitting the arches but I can find no evidence of this and besides it does it with the std 16`s as well.
My 18`s are 50mm offset.

FS
Old 13 July 2001, 12:55 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I have the Prodrive Handling Pack on an MY99 Saloon.

I'm only running the boggo 16" rims, as I wanted a decent ride. (Meaning I couldn't afford bigger wheels/tyres, really! ).

Anyway, the handling was fine until I noticed a sudden deterioration in ride quality, then "patter" on sweeping bends and finally a bloody great "clonk" when going over some cobbles near home.

I suspected the drivers side rear damper.

My suspicion was confirmed by the dealer. He said it was damper failure and a broken top-mount?!?! As to why this had happened is a mystery. Car had done 26,000 miles.

Replaced under warranty.

Funnily enough, I'd checked out the springs/dampers when having tryes changed a few months back. Odd mixture of Prodrive and STi stickers found on the dampers...Hmmm...

Old 13 July 2001, 01:48 PM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Just my 2dracmaes: Well I have the PD WR package 16''wheels MY00 wagon and I am delighted with the handling/grip/ride compromise. I am *amazed* how Prodrive tried and solved very successfully the puzzle. I am not saying that it has absolute handling or what have u. But as a compromise is a AAA job. Only complaint is after i fitted Gy F1 tyres it rolls more. So its 17'' and SO 2s forthcoming.
Old 13 July 2001, 08:16 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by superstring:
<B>Which Prodrive kit do you have: the older "Performance/GT" or the new "WR/Professional" kit?[/quote]

As I know the older kit is the Performance/GT and the WR/Sport both produced approximately the same time!
The latest kit from Prodrive for the old shape Impreza is the Proffesional witch is the stiffer one. Am I wrong or you?
Old 21 July 2001, 03:14 AM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Cool

JIM THEO

Sorry for the delay. I just came back. I think that we're both right: the "Performance/Gt" is the same as the "WR/Sport".

The "Professional/WR" kit is the newer one for the old style cars.

Cheers
Old 21 July 2001, 08:10 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Superstring
I hope you enjoy your vacations all this time!
Regards Jim .
Old 24 July 2001, 10:43 PM
Andy Gough
Scooby Regular

Don't feel victimised. Mr Burns and Mr Solberg are a tad disenchanted with Prodrive suspension as well at the moment. See the Safari rally on telly!