Notices

P1 Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2001, 11:51 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I am owner of a My2000 AWD turbo in Greece..
I am searching for the P1 suspension kit (STI V6 shocks - Prodrive springs, as I know SPD in USA sells this suspension kit only $795). Is this kit better than the WR (Prodrive) for fast road use? What about the ride quality? Do you now any shop that sells this suspension? (e-mail please)
Old 11 May 2001, 08:53 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Welcome aboard Jim Theo. Try Auto Ergonomics in MOSXATO ATHENS phone number is 01-9425371. They deal alot with Grahame Goode Racing in the UK who stocks STI bits. Or the Subaru main dealer in Athens may be able to supply the P1 suspension kit as they do the PPP and Prodrive suspension kits.

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 11 May 2001).]
Old 11 May 2001, 09:11 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

My understanding is that the P1 suspension is only available complete with a P1.

I am not aware of any 'kits' available in the P1 land (that is the UK) or of any intelligence as to correct combination of STi springs and dampers that Prodrive used. I guess if this was known it would be easy to offer an OEM Sti Kit.

Any volunteers for this information? Might even stick them on my Sti V

R
Old 11 May 2001, 02:09 PM
JohnS

I believe that the P1 uses Sti V/VI struts, which are made under licence from Bilstein (or so someone told me when discussing STi suspension).

The springs are made by Eibach, to Prodrive specifications, and are only available in the UK via a Subaru dealer if you own a P1.

However, there is a company in the US which is claiming to be selling the P1 springs on their own at
Old 11 May 2001, 02:25 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If I'm being stupid, then please correct me:

I thought the P1 suspension was played about with at Prodrive to get the best balance for a 2 door coupe and UK roads, and therefore *may* not be the best set up for a four door car!

Or else they would have just used the kit that is supplied as an option on the four door cars??

Just a thought
Andy
Old 11 May 2001, 04:45 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

It would be interesting to get a comment from Mike Wood here as there are lots of urban legends about regarding P1 suspension.

My version of the legend is that to keep cost down, Prodrive used a certain combination of OEM STi bits, from the STi Tuning parts bin, in a previously untried combination.

The key is what are the part numbers as we can then get the bits from a Japanese STi tuning shop.

I do not think that being two door or four door matters as the handling difference for the original two door Sti was greatly influenced by the torque balance front and rear, not the number of doors.

Whatever the answer I remain unconvinced that someone out there has the spec and has not exploited the UK market which would buy this set up, if genuine, by the truckload!

R
Old 11 May 2001, 06:35 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

We would have liked to fit Bilsteins to the P1 as we could set them to the exact spec we wanted.
However several things conspired against so we decided to test all the available options from the STI parts bin so they could be fitted 'down the line' during production in Japan.
We found the damper we required but could not match it to a suitable spring so we had them made and fitted here. These springs are different to any other Eibach spring available in the aftermarket but are quite similar to those in our latest Bilstein/Eibach kit

Fitting the P1 suspension to a 4 door car will give an improvement over the standard parts, but what is as important is the wheel and tyre used. There is no point changing the suspension if you are still on std 16" wheels and tyres.

The latest evolution of the Bilstein/ Eibach kit (available from your Subaru dealer) is specifically designed for the GT/Turbo to suit our 17" wheel packages and this is what I would recommend for your car.

regards

Mike
Old 11 May 2001, 08:45 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

JIM THEO,

You asked to be emailed but you have not provided your e-mail address. I was going to e-mail this page to ya as it has all the info you need.

WREXY.
Old 11 May 2001, 09:08 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have 17'' Gold OZ Superturismo Evo (48 offset), with Michelin Pilot Sport 215/40/17 tyres (mainly for their ride quality - have you ever seen greek tarmac???). I am thinking about WR kit for the same as above reason. Is there any problem with the offset (as i know Prodrive suggests 52)? What about the Prodrive recommendations for toe-in, caster?

PS:THANKS ALL OF YOU FOR THE INFORMATIONS... ESPECIALLY THANKS TO MIKE FOR THE ADVICES... I AM SURPRISED FROM YOUR QUICK ANSWER. I AM READY TO HELP ANYONE PLAN TO COME HERE...
Old 11 May 2001, 09:13 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

MY E-MAIL: wrx@in.gr
Old 13 May 2001, 09:18 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice to see confirmation from the horses mouth.

Just goes to show that Autocar are wrong not merely some of the time!

Shame us import owners can't give you some revenue Mike and we aren't allowed to go an buy things from our 'local' Subaru dealer

R