Notices

Advice Needed on Handling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2001, 12:07 PM
Kundra
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

The car is a P1, standard Eibach's with Whiteline front and rear anti roll bars, heavy duty rear mounting kit, solid rear drop links, anti lift kit and the bump steer mod done; the full geometry settings I can't remember but I know it's running 1.5 degrees camber. Also has 18" rims with P-Zeros 225x35x18.
Problem is in the wet the understeer is almost as bad as standard , but in the dry it is awesome .

Is this a compromise I will have to suffer with or can anyone suggest a cure.

I do not want to replace the P-Zero's with SO2's, I know they are a good tyre in the wet but pretty much the same in the dry and they wont fit properly anyway, I also don't want Leda.

Your opinions would be appreciated......

[This message has been edited by Kundra (edited 28 March 2001).]
Old 28 March 2001, 01:35 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Your car sounds sorted enough, it sounds more like you are trying too hard in the wet corners. Don't boot it too early in the corner, it'll just understeer.

But...I wouldn't drive that hard in wet anyway, you heard of lift off oversteer? Things can get VERY ugly.

What kind of rear sway bar did you go for? If it's the adjustable one, set it to max, if that doesn't help, change the front one to the stock (weaker?) one.

Try all this at your own risk though matey.

/J
Old 28 March 2001, 03:38 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Jerry - that's what I ended up doing after having similar problems

I set the rear uprated ARB to it's stiffest setting, got rid of the uprated front ARB (as it understeered waaaay too much) and went back to the standard one - much better setup!

Rich.
Old 28 March 2001, 09:52 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Kundra, IMHO you need to speak to someone who knows about setting up a car, rather than someone who wants to sell you every suspension mod known to man.

I don't know your circumstances but it sounds like you've got everything including the kitchen sink on there. If you can't get satisfactory answers, reset the car to standard and add selected mods one at a time and evaluate the improvements (or not).

Good luck. Sorry if I'm telling you to suck eggs etc.

Richard
Old 28 March 2001, 10:45 PM
Kundra
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the comments guys.
I'm going to take the uprated front ARB off and go back to the standard front, but keep the rear as it is for now.

Hoppy, the uprated items were fitted by people who know how to set up a car. As I said, in the dry the car can't be faulted, but this set up is not ideal for the wonderful weather we have, so a compromise is needed. Therefore the standard front ARB is going back on to eliminate the understeer.

Thanks again guys.

Old 30 March 2001, 08:24 AM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Wink

Kundra

I think I remember you, are you the one who held up the ramp most of the day at Powerstation having all the mods available fitted ?
BTY I was behind you a while before I overtook you. You had massive flames M8 looked very impressive!
Old 30 March 2001, 09:01 AM
Kundra
Scooby Newbie

Silver Surfer,

I remember you now, I think you were the guy with the really nice RB5 that looked really cool with the nice ICE, you must have been doing about 170 mph to get past me
Old 30 March 2001, 10:43 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you've discovered one of the "truths" of suspension setups - there is no single magic setup for all conditions.

It looks like you've got quite a "hard-core" track setup, so it's not really surprising that the car sucks on a wet, bumpy road. F1 teams don't switch to softer springs & dampers when it rains just for the hell of it!

Before you spend any more money, think about where you plan to do the most driving. Are you building a dedicated circuit car or a fast road-racer? The more you tune the car for smooth, fast circuits, the more often you're going to be embarassed out on wet & bumpy public roads.

I'd also investigate a performance driving course to get the most out of your mods.
Old 30 March 2001, 01:55 PM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Kundra

I remember you. You had the 'on a mission' sticker and the two 15 inch subs - real loud outside. Have you got all the alloy parts fitted under the bonnet yet or decided on the neon lights?

Good luck with getting bigger flames and sorting the suspension!

Catch you in Southend!