Notices

Prodrive springs

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2004, 08:28 AM
milu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Prodrive springs

Im looking into getting some prodrive springs for my my03 sti and just wondered how they affect the ride since i think the standard springs can be a bit to firm on occasions?
also what is the modification that the dealer does to the rear shocker tops to stop them being so noisy 'cos i need that doing too.(sounds terribly noisy at only 4k miles).
with the springs in mind how do they fair with 18" or even 19" wheels 'cos there the next thing when ive saved up a bit!
cheers
mike.
Old 23 February 2004, 08:41 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If you find the standard ride firm then maybe you should reconsider. Although they're not the hardest springs available, there will be a significant firming up of the ride. If you also plan to move up to 18's or even 19's then the ride will get much much harder as the tyre wall reduces.

I think you need to assess whether you need the springs because you really feel you will benefit from the more focused driving experience, or just 'cos you want them.
Old 23 February 2004, 09:13 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Springs for sale here if interested

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old 24 February 2004, 01:52 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

The ride actually improves compared to the std car with our springs and gets even better again with our 18" wheel and tyres, contrary to what you may expect...

Mike
Old 25 February 2004, 12:54 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

I agree with Mike's comments.

Fitted the springs last September and the ride is much nicer, although firm it feels much better controlled. Don't hesitate to get this done or you'll regret not doing it sooner. Only warning is to make sure you get the geometry done right.

Got PFF7s (18") on the group buy last month, fitted them up with GSD3s and the ride is further improved. I think the 17" Bridgestones (RE040) I had before are poor for ride and tramlining, and suspect 17" GSD3s would have given most of the improvement without forking out for new rims, but they look so good.

Cheers, Dick.
Old 25 February 2004, 03:23 PM
milu
Scooby Regular

cheers for the replies, i shall get the springs done first and then the wheels,if only i hadnt spent all my cash.........

thing is ive got a lot of noise from the rear suspension and so wanted to get this sorted at the same time but i cant get a definitive answer to what is causing the knocking and what the mod is.
any ideas?
mike

Last edited by milu; 25 February 2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 25 February 2004, 03:48 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

New springs improved the noise on mine from "annoying, maybe I should complain" to "still hear it occasionally but it doesn't drive me mad any more". Damian Harty (in his marvellous prodrive thread - by the way what's happened to this?) suggested that this was to do with "shim chatter" in the dampers, effect of changing the springs supports this as it isn't jiggling about so much so less noise. Another thought as to why this should be a problem on STi's is the inverted strut attaches the potentially noisy bit of the damper to the body rather than the wheel.

Cheers, Dick.
Old 25 February 2004, 08:46 PM
milu
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info.
mike