Old 02 January 2001, 11:56 AM
kwack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had the Prodrive suspension upgrade fitted to a MY99

1. What difference did it make?
2. How much did it cost?
3. Does the package include wheels?

Relatively new to this sort of thing so woiuld appreciate any comments on this i.e what affect did it have on handlin response etc. Any problems with clearance with 17" wheels etc

Cheers

Nigel
Old 02 January 2001, 07:52 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Wink

ive just had it put on my MY00, and its worth it. i dont know how it compares with the scoobysport option, but bear in mind that the prodrive one wont affect your warranty. you will corner VERY quickly with it, and I think you have to have 17 inch wheels to have , but I cant swear to that.
you still get a nice ride, not too harsh, but it really improves handling, and looks even cooler due to the drop in height.no, it doesnt cause a problem with wheelarches, in fact it looks better!
IMO you cant really go wrong with it, and because its prodrive it helps a little come resale time.
Old 02 January 2001, 10:22 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Why would the Scoobysport/Leda affect your warranty ?
Surely this suspension is of much better quality than std so dealers couldn't argue you had fitted sub std kit. A bit like fitting a Scoobysport Back box.
If the suspension became faulty then my claim would be with Leda.
I know that dealers were fitting these kits to their demo cars.

Is the Prodrive kit adjustable ? ride height and damping ?

Steve.
Old 03 January 2001, 10:19 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Because Subaru and Prodrive don't make Scoobysport/Leda suspension kits!! They are under no obligation to honour aftermarket kit any more than Sony are to honour DVD region cracking add-on chips.

Typically, the issue with warranty comes down to the dealers. If you fitted a Leda kit and the engine blew up, then your warranty would be fine. However, if you fitted a Leda kit and one of the wheel bearings shattered, then Subaru (or more accurately, IM Holdings) could argue that it was because of the modifications done to the car.

(Equally if you crashed and you hadn't told the insurance company of the suspension mods, then you might find yourself uninsured!!)

If warranty is important, discuss it with your dealer first.
Old 06 January 2001, 11:17 AM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I take your point.
I don't see everything as black and white as maybe you are trying to infer.
If a wheel bearing were to shatter, then i'd argue that the suspension mods had put that bearing under no more load than say the Prodrive suspension would have done. So the part would have failed anyway.
Most people build up some sort of relationship with there dealer. I don't believe that they are going to jeopordise that relationship (I spend lots of money at my dealer!)by taking things to the letter.

Just my opinion.

Steve.
Old 07 January 2001, 09:41 AM
GF8
Scooby Regular

Question

Does anyone know whether the Prodrive Eibach/Bilstein kit is the same for left hand drive and right hand drive WRX?

I have some difficulties in finding this kit for my wagon in my area, and I found there are some in the US. But I don't know whether the stock in US (LHD market) suits my RHD car or not.
Old 08 January 2001, 02:23 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SteveB:
<B>If a wheel bearing were to shatter, then i'd argue that the suspension mods had put that bearing under no more load than say the Prodrive suspension would have done.
[/quote]

True, but what happens when IM argue that it did? Ready to argue it in court? That's all I was pointing out.

Wheel bearing might sound a poor example, but a different spring rate <I>will</I> apply a different load to the wheel, so legally, they might have a point.

What about fitting the replacement kit? A bodged job (by an unapproved fitter) will invalidate the warranty, which is why the Subaru warranty won't cover just any Tom, Dick or Harry fiddling around with the your car.

Subaru are not responsible for every possible mod that we can make, we are. As you have a good relationship with your dealer, then you should be able to get an answer in your favour.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SteveB:
<B>Just my opinion.[/quote]

Just mine!
Old 08 January 2001, 07:22 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Personally, after having driven a PPP'd 99 model, back to back with my MY00 down the same road - I would have to say that the Prodrive suspension package is overpriced. My Prodrive price list says it's £1200!!!!! I think that you'd get much better value for money having the Bump Steer mod along with stiffer anti-roll bars and possibly, anti-lift also. These mods come to about £350 and in my opinion will be better than the PPP changes.

You'd have to check with your dealer about the effect on the warranty first though.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 09 January 2001, 11:24 PM
Hamish Lindsay
Scooby Newbie

GF8,
LHD RHD all the same.
Until you've stuck it on the corner weights.

Regards,
Hamish.
Old 10 January 2001, 02:37 PM
GF8
Scooby Regular

Question

Hamish,

What does that means? Does that means the spring rate or the shock rate of the left is a lot bit less than the right in a RHD WRX?

I heard some people said that there is some problem in the recent RHD BMW 3-series because the 3-series is originally a LHD vehicle.