Notices

Bilstein and Eibach

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2000, 07:51 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been threatening to do it for two years (since I got the car) but due to a failing shock absorber in my 93 WRX, I have been forced to buy some Bilstein struts and Eibach springs. I know about having to modify the existing KYB strut bodies, which isn't really a problem (or is it? Anyone done it?) I fully expect a harder ride but I was wondering just how hard can I expect? If anyone has any experience of this please let me know.
Cheers, Mark
Old 05 December 2000, 09:56 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mark,
I've got an MY99 with the Bilstein/Eibach (Prodrive). Standard 16" wheels and tyres. Firm, but compliant ride and makes the car look better and gives slightly less body-roll and feels more solid.

I chose to have it fitted as an option having test driven a standard MY98.

Go for it.

Regards,
Squizz.
Old 08 December 2000, 08:19 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Question

Are Eibach Pro kit springs same as Prodive use in Bilst/Eib. kit? I have read about only diference is special Bilstein strut.
Old 09 December 2000, 05:21 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

The bilsteins are on! The only problem is that when the strut top is cut off to allow the new inserts to be fitted, the brass guide does not tightly fit inside the strut body. I have managed to get them to fit by bending in the top of the strut body so that the threads will tighten up but i'm not convinced that this is the best solution. The guide only serves to prevent lateral movement so it does not take much vertical pressure. Does anyone have any solutions? Maybe different guides? I looked into getting the guides tack welded but noone can do it because of the dissimilair metals (brass/mild steel)and the closeness of the inserts seals. Any advice greatly appreciated.
PS The billys and eibachs are GREAT, not too hard but wow, what a difference!
Old 11 December 2000, 02:33 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Erik

The springs in our suspension kits are unique and are different to any others you can buy from Eibach.

Mark

The guide takes all the sideloadings of the suspension ie cornering load and is therefore massively important. If it fails you are in big trouble as you will have the wheel assembly floating around almost uncontrollably. I would suggest that you make 100% sure you are happy with the installation rather than just hoping it will be OK.

Mike
Old 11 December 2000, 10:39 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mike, thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I am happy that the guides are not going to pop-out but I have done some investigating and when the looming financial crisis (christmas) is over I am going to purchase a proper set of coil-over strut bodies, spring platforms etc from TAS to sort out any potential problems permanantly.
Mark.

[This message has been edited by MarkF (edited 11 December 2000).]
Old 12 December 2000, 10:01 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your reply. Now I uderstand why is your suspension so high priced.
Old 12 December 2000, 02:35 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Mike,

Couldn't give us a cheap price on a pair of replacement front Prodrive shocks and eibach springs could ya?

Cheers,

Karl

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MikeWood:
<B>Erik

The springs in our suspension kits are unique and are different to any others you can buy from Eibach.

Mark

The guide takes all the sideloadings of the suspension ie cornering load and is therefore massively important. If it fails you are in big trouble as you will have the wheel assembly floating around almost uncontrollably. I would suggest that you make 100% sure you are happy with the installation rather than just hoping it will be OK.

Mike[/quote]

Old 13 December 2000, 02:39 PM
GF8
Scooby Regular

Question

Mike,

I heard that Prodrive stops supplying the suspension kit for Impreza Wagon GF8. Is that the case?

David
Old 14 December 2000, 09:51 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Karl

Why do you just want the fronts?

David

We still have stock of 5door suspension kits at Subaru UK

Mike
Old 15 December 2000, 02:54 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Mike,

Managed to "aquire" a set of rears off an accident damaged WRSport'ed motor. Only need to the front struts and springs.

Karl

PS - Don't tell me you don't sell 'em seperately!?!?
Old 16 December 2000, 08:43 AM
Adonis
Scooby Regular

Mike,

What is the difference between the Prodrive springs and the standard Eibach ones?

Please e-mail me if we can have those in Cyprus.

Thanx.
Old 18 December 2000, 12:13 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Karl

You can buy just one end as replacements from your Subaru Dealer.

Adonis

The springs and damperes are matched to each other. We do not have specific information about Eibach springs that are sold in the aftermarket. The suspension kit should still be available in Cyprus, e-mail slines@prodrive.com

Mike

Old 18 December 2000, 12:21 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm interested in uprate suspension, but will it cause a problem with:

a) Speed bumps - too many round where I live
b) My MIM's which have an offset of ET45

I use to have a MY97, with Prodrive suspension, and that use to live an unnerving scraping sound when going over speedbumps at more than 10mph!!! Also the rear diff seem to sit far too low!

Was this tired suspension?? Will this become an issue as more mileage is put on the car??

Any owners with this kit, and the ScoobySport alloys?? Any owners have to tackle speed bumps on a regular basis?

All suspension opinions welcome!!!

Thanks
Andy
Old 19 December 2000, 07:21 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Right, more information for you (If you're interested). Still not 100% happy with the guide situation, I have now spoken to Bilstein UK. There rep. Tom has taken all my information and within 2 hours told me the following.
Bilstein make 2 types of guides for these inserts, both with the same part number! One is the threaded type like I have which is designed for a KYB strut that is available after market in Japan and has a threaded top section. The other has a collar that is welded to the strut body and then has a threaded section to locate the insert. Trust me to be sent the wrong ones!

So now we know the score easy eh? No way!

Bilstein do not have any in this country or in Germany, but someone in France does! These are to be sent to me ASAP without charge.
When I spoke to the suppliers of the inserts they had no knowledge about there being different guides, so I am wondering how many other people have bought the inserts and had problems with the fitting of them? Or if someone else has fitted them are they correct?
I don't want to start scaremongering or start appointing blame (hence no name of supplier), its one of those things but it makes me wonder.
Sorry ramblings over. Any more info i'll post it here.