Notices

Coil-over suggestions for a Legacy sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2000, 03:34 AM
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello all. I've just registered, so this is my first post. I have a '99 Legacy 2.5GT sedan (US spec) that I auto-cross and occasionally get on the open track. As of now the car's suspension is stock with the exception of an 18mm rear sway bar.

The car performs surprisingly well, considering how close to stock it is. However, now that I have R-compound Kumho tires for my auto-x/track events, I'm starting to hit the limits of the stock setup. Basically, I get so much body roll that in tight corners I actually spin the inside front tire (the US spec '99 Legacy has open diffs front and rear). Needless to say this does not help my corner exit acceleration.

Here in the US, what little Subaru aftermarket support there is is almost entirely Impreza related. Most of the Impreza suspension stuff will fit on my Legacy, but it is isn't tuned for my car's extra 300lbs of weight, so that's kind of a moot point. So, I don't really know if there are any coil-over kits out there for the Legacy. I'm hoping that since you guys get to have the hot Legacy GT-B, you'll have some more aftermarket support and can help me out.

Basically, I'm looking for a setup that is height adjustable and uses adjustable dampers. Ideally, I'd like to be able to drive the car around day-to-day with settings (height and firmness) that are close to stock. Then, when I go to the track or auto-x event, while I'm swapping my wheels around I could also lower the ride height and firm up the dampers for optimum performance.

Any help/advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Pat Olsen
'99 US Legacy 2.5GT 5speed sedan
Stonington, CT, USA
Old 03 December 2000, 02:55 AM
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Newbie

Well, the '99 Legacy is gone, totalled on the track in late August. Just today I found a replacement, a '97, so it's time to start thinking about this stuff again.

Can anyone be of assistance?

Thanks again...

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
USA
Old 03 December 2000, 11:20 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, have you spoken to SubieGal or any of the other Legacy owners on the US board? I know SG runs DMS suspension on her car.

Sorry to hear about your car, been there, done that, got the aches and pains !

Sorry not much help
Old 03 December 2000, 05:04 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

heya...

Teins will fit...
as will Leda's...

but i love the DMS!!!

Pat... what are ya gonna do w/the car??? track? rallyx? autox??? i can help u.. i've done tons of research on this....
Old 03 December 2000, 08:38 PM
Patrick Olsen
Scooby Newbie

Hey, SubieGal. Yeah, I know you've done the DMS 50mm setup, but I seem to recall that you had to modify some things to make it work. I'd rather find a kit that's designed specifically for the Legacy, and what with the lucky Brits getting the GTB, I figured they might have some stuff overseas. Same thing goes for the Japanese home market.

As for usage, it will be mostly auto-x, with a couple/few open track events possibly. I'd like to be able to drive around with a nearly stock feel for normal driving (probably a bit firmer is fine, as the car does "float" a bit when you come off a rise), then tighten it up for events.

Same thing goes for ride height. A little bit lower than stock (maybe 0.5" down - 12mm for the metric types here) during the summer, even lower than that for auto-x/track duty (so perhaps 1" or 25mm lowered), and then normal ride height in the winter to recover the stock snow clearance ability.

Pat
Old 04 December 2000, 11:10 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Patrick,

The Struts bolt up fine.

The issue is with the top mounts.

The Legacy uses different top mounts to the impreza.

Speak to DMS and ask if they have sourced any replacement top mounts..if they have, its problem solved

J.
Old 06 December 2000, 04:34 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

Wink

hey Pat...

i replied... sent ya mail...
DMS does not make nor supply any rear top mounts that will work for the 99 GT...

likely you will have to do some machining like i did if you opt for the DMS... they (DMS) have no resolution or answers for rear top mounts at this time... but mine work fine...

j.