Notices

Which suspension kit??

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2000, 07:08 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've got a MY99 UK car, and since the addition of a set of 17" wheels, I need to reduce the ride height!!

I'm not after just springs, and I'm not a great believer in that! I'm after a whole kit!!

I was hoping only spend about £1000 with fitting included in the price!!

I'm not really looking at doing track days, so I don't think I can justify the Leda/Scoobysport set up!

Any recommendations???

Cheers
Andy
Old 03 June 2000, 11:01 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Andy,

The Eibach / Bilstein combo is excellent (Prodrive setup). It drops the car just under an inch. The improvement in handling over the original is amazing. For road use it is firm without being hard enough to give your spine a hammering. The only problem is that it tempts you to take the corners a lot more agressively, which can scare the sh** out of any passengers.

Ken
Old 04 June 2000, 01:28 AM
jase cooper
Scooby Regular

Talking

I recently borrowed a MY99 with the Prodrive suspension... the difference was gobsmacking!

I have a MY00 with 17's and SO2s and find it drives a bit like Zebedee(?)... tons of grip and good turn in but lopes about like its on a big spring (too soft for the dampers?). Bad low speed ride too.

The prodrive car was in a different league... far more composed over the bumpy stuff and excellent in the twisty bits too...a lot less roll/dive/squat and even though the suspension was firmer the ride quality was better! (only drove the car for half an hour though but on good B & C roads).

I was quoted £1086 fitted.

jase.(make your roundabouts magic )
Old 04 June 2000, 08:41 AM
KenG
Scooby Regular

My MY00 has the Prodrive suspension, hence mentioning the Eibach/Bilstein combo. I couldn't remember the component price as I had it done as part of the handling and performance packs.

Ken
Old 04 June 2000, 11:43 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, I'll give a few dealers a call to see how much I can get it for!!

I guess it'll be worth giving Pete a quick call as well to double check how the Leda setup is!!

Any other ideas/thoughts?? Avo???

Andy
Old 05 June 2000, 12:49 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Question

I have an sti4 and was looking to change to Eibach springs. Will the existing dampers be ok ???
Stu
Old 05 June 2000, 12:06 PM
Mark Coleman
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Guys

I replaced my 93 WRX suspension with a Prodrive set-up. Big improvement over the standard. This was fitted and set-up by Leda - don't ask!!.

I have now purchased an STi IV - and in my opinion the standard STi is far better than the Prodrive suspension, harder and even better cornering. I still have my original WRX and even now when swapping from one car to the other, you can really tell the difference.

What I'm trying to say is spend the money on a Leda set-up, and not the Prodrive, much more versatile in that you can change the settings to suite road or track in all weather conditions. That will be my next aquisition for the STi.

Old 05 June 2000, 01:12 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Stu/And all

I had a dilemma recently over suspension having looked at all the options. Of course all things being equal I would like the Leda set up. Avo looks like a good option though, Eibach haven't tested their springs on a Jap car and therefore do not recommend them for a WRX/STi.

I chose to go for Tein springs from GG as they are better made to handle the forces of a higher horse car and will be better suited when I upgrade to Konis or Bilis. As I was on a budget I also decided to upgrade the wishbone bushes and the Anti roll bushes for Powerflex items, seriously reduces road noise gives the car a perter feel and most importantly reduces understeer, try it you will be amazed.

SJD

[This message has been edited by Scott J Davies (edited 05-06-2000).]
Old 06 June 2000, 07:40 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Yes but some parts are cheaper from MRT. For example front or rear anti roll bar links costs only 75,-AUD for a pair uretane bushes 20,-AUD.
Old 07 June 2000, 09:00 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Stupot.

I have Eibachs on my STi4 that I bought from Falkland. They claim that ones supplied to me were set up for an STi and I personally find them great, as do other STi owners that I know.
STi's come with uprated (compared to std UK spec) Bilstein dampers as standard, even though they aren't badged as Bilsteins, and most STi owners have found that they work well with the Eibachs compared to UK installations which apparently can feel a little underdamped.
See
Old 08 June 2000, 03:18 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Question

How does the MY00 WRX (non STI) suspension compare with the standard uk turbo, and the prodrive kit?
Old 09 June 2000, 02:06 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Triggaaar

I have to say I'm not sure, but the fact that the STi dampers are labelled as STi, suggests that there is a good chance that the WRX dampers may not be Bilsteins.

Does that make sense?

Neil.
Old 09 June 2000, 03:22 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

I understand that the STI has had a fair bit more work to the suspension than the WRX, but that the WRX has had changes over the std UK turbo (at least I hope so, as the power is higher).

I don't know which individual elements any of the models use, I'm just after general opinion on how the WRX/UK std/ and UK std + prodrive all compare.
Old 09 June 2000, 05:41 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have a MY96 WRX, which arrived in the UK with lowered springs (not sure of supplier). The dampers are clearly labelled Bilstein. So they are available in Japan.

I have found the handling very good - neutral with very little body roll, oversteer can easily be induced with the throttle and/or weight transfer. The ride is very compliant except on very rough surfaces.
Old 25 June 2000, 11:07 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Andy, stick with Eibach/Bilstein from Prodrive. AVO set up isnt in the same quality class (from my german car tuning experience)

PS - what 17's did you buy?
Old 26 June 2000, 06:27 AM
Gilbert-RA
Scooby Newbie

I have a WRX with the Prodrive kit as fitted in Japan (Eibach & GAB) and it is terrific on the twiddley bits.

Gilbert-RA
Old 26 June 2000, 12:57 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I went for a ScoobySport special!

I got the graphite wheels on my silver car. They're not as dark as I'd like, but look very nice all the same!!

After spending a week in the Cotwolds, I think that big brakes are going to be my next investment!!!

Hmmm.... so Brembos or AP Racing??? (But I guess that'a a whole different thread!!!)