Notices

Powerstation Geometry re-set or Anti-Lift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2000, 12:07 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Did you do the roll bar and bushes at the same time?

My car will have the later rear RB anyway - I was just wandering if you noticed the increase in roll stiffness with the bushes?

How is turn-in feel with the ALK? I read somewhere that it can feel like the car is more reluctant to turn-in with this kit?
Old 17 May 2000, 10:36 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

.....following on from Simon-De-Sideways comments ref the excellent work done by PS...

Does anyone have any comments ref doing the PS set-up in-stead of the anti-lift kit?

Presumably the PS set-up would eliminate a degree of power on understeer as the bump steering is revised (ie front will still lift due to weight transfer but geometry changes less so less understeer). Will this negate / reduce the benefits of the Kit.

Is the PS set-up exculsive to the std components?

I`m also thinking about powerflex bushes on the anti-roll bars?

I saw Stef`s thread ref the Eibach springs - good stuff - but as others have said on the thread I think one of the major factors in the awsome roadholding is the long travel suspension and reasonably pliantly set-up.

I`m assuming the ARB bushes will increase roll stiffnesss somewhat and the ALK or PS will iron out some of the understeer.........comments anyone??
Old 17 May 2000, 02:58 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I have the first PS geometryised scooby and am now running eibachs... very nice!

Had the anti lift kit many moons ago on my previous car... not majorly impressed at the time (sorry MT, I do like to be different )... easily prefer current car's setup.

I wonder if the latest anti lift kit supplies an uprated replacement front bush designed to work with the twisted front arm?

Moray
Old 18 May 2000, 05:48 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Have a look at this
Old 21 May 2000, 10:50 PM
psyg
Scooby Regular

Somebody asked before, but I never saw an answer:
With ALK, does it have (any) sence to do the PowerStation bumpsteer set-up? (because of ALK itself already reduces some bumpsteer?)

A second question, Macca said:
"...everyone who has a Antilift kit,next time you have your car on the hoist I advise you to have a look at the front lower arm bush, It will be distorted. This is not good for your cars longevity or it's handling. I was one of the first to have a Antilift kit fitted and one of the first to remove it. I noticed the problem when we were making up nolathane bushes for all the joints in the car, We could not get the front bush to fit because the arm was pushed to a funny angle buy the kit..."

Which ALK-owner did already some looking? And, distortion???
This week I will ask my dealer when lookin at the car.

grt Geert, Holland
Old 22 May 2000, 01:23 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

The anti-lift kit will not affect bumpsteer.
Old 23 May 2000, 12:23 PM
psyg
Scooby Regular

Moray,

As far as I understand: bumpsteer is caused by the up-down movement, compression/extending, of the suspension (the toe angle on the front axle changes by this movement).
The ALK reduces the up-down movement (the lift); so in an indirect way, I think, it must also reduce some bumpsteer!?

grt Geert
Old 24 May 2000, 01:42 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Psyg,

As I understand it, the Anti lift kit adjusts the lower suspension in order to change the acceleration lift versus braking dive balance... Which implies that reducing acceleration lift will increase dive under braking. The suspension will still travel similar distances as you drive... so the bump-steer will be unaffected.

If you fitted uprated springs, the amount of travel would reduce and then your argument would hold... but this would not be anything to do with the ALKit.

Moray