Powerflex Bushes

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2000, 12:28 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi Steffy,

The anti-roll bar bushes suffer a lot of stress, and it is fairly common for the stock ones to get squeezed out of position on track days, so these are probably the first ones to do. You will get a bit of extra roll stiffness into the bargain, and the effects on ride quality are likely to be less severe than with some of the other bushings. I suspect from the look of things that they are among the easiest to fit, too.

The next ones to look at are the front wishbone bushes. Sorry, can't remember if you've got an anti-lift kit, but if you have then this replaces two of the four bushes anyway. Most people choose to get the other two bushes replaced at the same time.

The other suggestion is to get the STi GroupN top mounts, which are quite pricey (about three hundred nicker all round from GGR) but will hold the strut tops more firmly, so you get less caster/camber variation under cornering loads. I have these, and the difference is not massive, but they do add to the general tautness. They are still rubber (not polyeurethane) so it's not like they're relentlessly hard or anything.

HTH

-= mike =-
Old 15 February 2000, 12:36 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Stef,

While I've got your attention, can you confirm for the 19th (if you have, apologies, but you're not down on my list as "confirmed" - please just let me know - mailto:mike.nunan@octel.com or ding me on 0973-187547)

Cheers,

-= mike =-
Old 15 February 2000, 11:35 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm sure it's been asked before, but to get more recent opinions I thought I'd ask again.

Which bushes are the most likely to improve handling, etc, if changed for Powerflex ones?

I know there will be an improvement with all of them, but I understand some give minimal benefits and are very hard to change.
I just want to change the ones under the nmost stress and that wil give the biggest improvements.

Cheers.

Stef.