STI V5 suspension - same as Prodrive?

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 1999, 09:49 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Dear Scoobyphiles,

A quick question - I have heard conflicting reports about the suspension fitted to the STI 5, and I'm curious about which is which. I'm thinking of trying to get hold of something 2nd hand if possible.

1) Inverted struts manufactured by KYB.
2) Bilstein dampers and Prodrive springs
3) something else althogether.

Are the bilstein struts and springs the same as fitted during the prodrive upgrade, and are they optional in Japan as they are here?.

Or (more likely)have I got it completely wrong altogether.

Thanks.

Alex

Old 22 September 1999, 01:30 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Arrow

The Prodrive suspension is different from the STi5 kit, which is different again from the UK kit. The Type-R (2 door) has stiffer springs and possibly different dampers compared to the 4-door STi, and to complicate matters further there is a *different* uprated Prodrive/STi kit for the Japanese domestic market. I suppose it's possible that it is this kit that the Type-Rs get as standard, but I don't know for sure. Confusing, huh?

In practical terms, it's going to be hard to get hold of Prodrive suspension (or any other form of upgrade kit) second hand. I suspect very few people with Prodrive suspension will want to sell it, and I've never even heard of anyone with the Japanese market upgrade over here, so that'll be very hard to find. If you want something a bit stiffer, maybe your best bet is to try and get a set of STi5 Type-R suspension from somebody who's upgrading to LEDA or similar.

Hope that helps

-= mike =-
Old 22 September 1999, 02:51 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

Mike, I was interested to read in another thread that you have softer springs on your Leda suspended car. Did Pete source these from Leda or is it something you changed after finding the original springs a bit hard ? How do you find the set-up now?
Cheers, Mark

p.s. I have your old suspension from your STI4!
Old 22 September 1999, 09:46 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

if you are feeling rich - STI have just released their own adjustable dampers (4 positions) at circa 170 quid a corner - not heard of anyone fitting these in uk yet but I now know what I want for christmas !
Old 23 September 1999, 12:52 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Howdy..

If my memory serves me correct (at 1am isnt a sure thing), all Imprezas can use the same suspension.

Cheers,

J.