Notices

Prodrive v STi4 Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 1999, 04:09 PM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How different is Prodrive and STi4 (not Type R)suspension?

My STi 4 seems to be a little overdamped and undersprung - Crashes over bumps but rolls in corners (though less than UK spec.). Will a change to Prodrive components help ?

Also are damping & spring rates the same front and back ?

LEDA B/C looks interesting but am concerned about set up time. I am prepared to compromise some performance due to mileage travelled.

[This message has been edited by Steve Wilson (edited 14-07-99).]
Old 15 July 1999, 03:10 AM
Mark Sleap
Scooby Newbie

Steve, I cannot help you with your question, but just to throw something in with regards suspension. This topic seems to throw up the more contradictions than any other. This is obviously due to the to the fact that what suits one in the suspension department is totally unexcepable for others. I have an MY 94 , which I changed the rear anti-roll bar whilst I was deciding what to do next. The suspension set-up what pretty much how you describe yours, pretty crashy over bumps but a fair bit of roll into corners. Reading magazine articles, the later cars seemed[in print, anyway] to be a quantum leap over the older ones in the suspension department.. I wanted a fit and forget suspension which maintained good ride quality but was a sportier set-up., I approached my local dealer with a view to purchase a Prodrive Bilstein/Eibach kit. Basically he advised me that if that was my criteria, I should'nt fit the Prodrive kit as he found it very harsh and said I should get a standard set-up from an MY 98 or 99 [another contradiction, as recents threads have said the Prodrive kit is softer than standard MY 99, but there you go!]. In the end I have fitted springs/dampers from a low mileage STI 4. Pete at Scoobysport checked part numbers etc. and these are exactly the same as fitted to UK MY98's. I think some confusion comes from the fact that STI's can be specified with up-rated[ Eibach/Bilstein? ] from the factory. If you have the standard set-up, for STI 4's anyway, it's the same as the UK turbo's were getting. Anyway, in general, I'm fairly happy with the arrangement most days. It's not to far off the feel of the 94 cars set-up, with the already mentioned problems, but to a lesser degree. So doesent feel so much of an up-grade as a fresh set of dampers as the others had done 45,000miles. I suppose to please all of the people all of the time you need to look at an adjustable set-up, but I would prefer a well sorted non-adjustable. Anyone tried Koni's? The best set-up I had one of my previous Integrales was Koni sport dampers with the standard springs. As people are rightly always sugesting, you need to get along to a meet to maybe sit in cars with various suspension mods. Good luck, Mark
Old 15 July 1999, 10:01 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Mark,
So Pete has confirmed that STi 4 dampers/springs are the same as a MY98?
I've an STi V and it's certainly a lot less compliant than my old MY97 - do you know if they changed the dampers from 97-98?
I've seen on a previous thread that a fantastic upgrade for STi's (it was on a V, assume it's the same for all) is to fit a set of HKS springs on std dampers (lowers car slightly). These are designed specifically for this setup, along with 17's and SO2's.
Old 15 July 1999, 11:15 AM
Mark Sleap
Scooby Newbie

Craig, yes Pete confirmed that they were the same numbers on the dampers and the paint coding on the springs was the same as a UK MY 98 Turbo. Everything I have read says the set-up's on MY 96 and 97 was firmer than the 98's but dont know if that's down to springs or dampers being different, or in fact both.
Old 15 July 1999, 05:14 PM
Andrew M
Scooby Regular

Shortly after taking delivery of my STi4 I did a back-to-back comparison with a UK car which had been built by Prodrive (apart from the suspension it had Prodrive racing seats - not the road ones they do - and a shortened gearbox.) The car was owned by Andy Holmes.

The road which we did the test is flat, mainly without hedges with short straights and 90 degree bends. It is one of the toughest yet safest (huge visibility) roads I know.

We first went out in the STi4 followed by the Prodrive'd car.

The Prodrive settings were far better and felt much sharper than the STi settings. Yes part of this will have been due to the 17 inch wheels and Prodrive geometry but the difference was incredible.

I have also been in Leda converted cars which are equally impressive if somewhat hard for the road. On the track they are amazing.

The other major factor between a UK car and STi is that the STi has alloy suspension components and therefore different weight at each wheel. The STi has a stiffer shell (back seats are fixed like the RB5 and it has that Carbon brace.)
Old 15 July 1999, 06:59 PM
PhilCapes
Scooby Newbie

I've got a MY 98 car and, courtesy of a friendly dealer (Deer Leap at Aylesbury - usual disclaimer) I tried a car with the Prodrive suspension pack when mine was in for its last service.
P/drive is more compliant, car feels better planted on the road, turn-in is sharper, body roll is about the same - i.e.very little. This driver felt more comfy and more confident on the twisty stuff. Overall it made a very very good car a lot better.
Would I buy it? Yes, when I've got the necessary £££ to spare.
Old 16 July 1999, 04:08 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

I must echo these comments - I have Prodrive suspension on my MY98 and it makes a world of difference. Less roll, better composure, and improves the overall handling no end.